What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your biggest vft trap this year?

• Thread starter peter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
I know that the UK forum already has this topic, but since not every one goes there on a regular basis I was wondering what is your biggest trap this season?

Mine- 1.5 inches on my D. Typical

2"
smile.gif

Last season one of mine reached up to 2.5", hoping I will be able to beat it this season. Looks like there's a few pretty huge ones coming up...

Wow, 2.5 inches? Got any pictures?
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Aug. 18 2004,2:49)]Wow, 2.5 inches? Got any pictures?
We keep hearing about such traps, but so far I think the only photos posted have shown traps less than 1.8 inches. Let us see photos with a ruler for scale.

Yeah that sounded doubtful, maybe he was refering to Centimeters?

1 inch on my Green Dragon
biggrin.gif

about 1 1/4 " on Red Dragon.

Come on, folks, PICTURES!!! Here's mine, which was just over 1.75 inches. This plant was originally from the PFT green dragon sale of a while ago, and regularly produces traps over an inch.:
vft_from_pft_4.sized.jpg

Capslock

Not a great photo, but the largest traps on my typical VFTs are about 1.75 inches.
VFTtypical004.jpg

Sorry for the confusion, it was in centimetres.
biggrin.gif
If it were in inches I would have blabbed it out much earlier already. It was more likely 3cm, not 2.5. I delayed taking the pic, so the trap inevitably dried out. Well, at least I kept it as long as I could since I couldn't find anything of the size worthy of the trap eating.
smile_m_32.gif

Don't know why, but I think I have heard one of Tamlin's getting up to 4". No I ain't joking, I am real serious here, but it could be that I saw the wrong thing or wisunderstood the figures...could also be that I was dreaming...
smile_l_32.gif

that was the story of the mad botanist-scientist that made Giant VFTs and fed mice to it!

Don't have pics, but several of my typicals have many traps measuring 1.75". Now I noticed that for those who posted pics, the measurement seems to be at the top of the trap, where the spines start. If you measure at the bottom, you get less. I bought my plants from Dangerous Plants about five years ago. I don't expect that the traps will ever top 2", but that sure seems big to my eight year old!

1.25" typ vft. off a lowes plant and some others. I may have bigger, but this is the plants first real year out of lowe's 'care'

A mere 1 1/4" on a typical (a few traps like that actually).

largetrap.jpg

Here are a couple of mine:

South West Giant:

swgiant6804a.jpg

Sawtooth

sawtooth6804a.jpg

Largest trap of any of my plants.

post-24-1093229712.jpg

Back