What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with red dragon

I seem to have a problem with my Red Dragon. It was producing large healthy traps last month but they were quite on the green side. So I recently moved it to a different terrarium where it gets more light and maybe a little more heat because it is directly under the light. That is the only change I have made to it other than applying some fungicide to the top of the soil to get rid of some slime. Now the traps are forming are very red, but they are very under or mis-developed. If they have any 'teeth' at all they are short like a dentate and they dont close at all. Any help would be appreciated. I have a link to a pic, put the pic isnt all the great because I dont have macro on my camera. Thanks in advance.

Red Dragon

if it was me id put them back to were they were growing fine they need to be grown with paticence whats better nice traps but a bit green or defected traps that are red.

Yes I have thought of doing that, but of course I would like the best of both worlds. I dont understand why the increased light would be a problem, atleast not a problem that would cause the traps to look the way they do. Any more opinions would be appreciated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wolf9striker @ Aug. 23 2004,12:35)]....So I recently moved it to a different terrarium where it gets more light and maybe a little more heat because it is directly under the light.
Heat or lower humidity might be the problem. The tips of the teeth looked browned as though they were descicated. This could be caused by the slightly warmer conditions it is recieveing or the higher light level as it might be getting burned by the higher light level (my WAG). Did you gradually adjust it to the higher light/heat level? Either way, try backing it off the light a bit and seeing if that helps. Then move it back slowly to give it time to adapt. Or you can leave it as is and see if the next batch of traps look better.

On the subject of Red Dragons, does anyone know any place in Las Vegas that sells them, or someplace that sells them online that doesn't charge outrageous prices? Been hoping for a SASE offer for one in the trade forum for a few months now, but it doesn't look like that's going to pan out, and I've been dying to find a red dragon to add to my small collection but been unable to find any place to buy them.

Dean has them for a very reasonable price.

Awesome.
smile.gif

Who's Dean?
smile_n_32.gif

Dean Cook of Cooks Carnivorous Plants. I know Dean, and he is a good guy. Plants are generally very healthy too. wolf9striker, the fungicide may be the problem. Sometimes adding fungicides can produce distorted, unworking traps, and you have to wait. Wait for 1 month before doing anything, and let the effects of the fungicide wear off your red dragon.

Fygee, Why not just get a Green Dragon from Pet Flytrap?.... the coloration is almost the same as a Red Dragon. The only difference is that they grow faster and have longer summer leaves then a Red Dragon which grows large traps at a slow rate.

Back