What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft wavy

I bought a couple VFTs from Lowes probably about a month and a half ago. They were doing fine and catching their own meals, but now I am looking at the traps and there are very wavy and curling. I keep them moist all the time and they sit outside to get sunshine. Not sure what the deal is but they look like total... crap
smile_h_32.gif

Anyone have an idea why they are doing this? I potted them in a 2:1:1 ratio of LFS, Perlite, and Peat Moss. They sit in a tray of distilled water with some superthrive. They get good sunlight. I am wondering if the sun is scorching them?

Nah, it sounds like aphids. Get some lady bugs and put them on the VFT and hope they don't get eaten. They'll take care of the aphids if they don't get eaten. Or you could just leave it alone if the aphids aren't doing that much damage. A flea collar near the pot helps too.

my digital camera is only a 2mega pixel... i cannot get good closeups. Speaking of lady bug... it ate one three weeks ago lol.

What are aphids? I dont see any bugs or anything on my plant... it is only a month or so old. Most of the traps are wavy and mind you, my plant only has like 5 traps on them ;)

Oh that's not from aphids! lol That trap is just exhausted. That trap won't be able to catch any bugs anymore. It will just sit there and eventually die off. You have absolutely nothing to worry about.
biggrin.gif

It will die off... Boo! So how do people get monster traps if they die!? Boo!!! It looks so... sad.
smile_h_32.gif

Is there a reason why they like to lay down? Long stems and pretty large traps, but they are wimpy. lol. they are Lowe's rescued.. I am sure in a year or so they might get stronger and look full?

Just the leaf will die off, not the whole plant. And there are cultivars that have giant traps too. Your VFT probably wont get giant traps until next year after it goes dormany. And the reason they lay down is because it's late in the year. I've also heard that plants that are reproduced through tissue culture don't get as big as normal plants but I don't think it's true. The ones you get at Lowes ARE reproduced through tissue culture.

Excellent, thanks for the help and info! I'll be sure to pass it on to newbies ;)

Mine did the exact same thing about a week ago (got it from Lowe's as well), out of the blue. It sprung back by morning though.

Usually whenever this happens, from my observation, they usually do that when the humidity is too low, its too hot, or they're overwatered in overly humid areas. The latter was the case for mine, as I already keep it in a very humid terrarium, but I also had a lot of water in the bottom tray. Apparently this kills any chance for the roots to get some oxygen, and causes the plant to wilt and weaken.

Back