What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft seedling stalk

Hey -

Has anyone had a VFT seedling send up a stalk? One of mine which is a few months old is sending up a stalk. It looks kinda like a flower stalk, but it has a bract halfway up and the top is like 1 single bud.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? It's really quite strange.

- Patrick

Could you post a pic of it? Sounds like a flower stalk one member posted a while back about a leaf cutting sending up a flower stalk.

Mine did almost the exact same thing! It sent up two stalks at two different growing points, but one died and the other is still growing and I can see the white petals in the bud now.

These are true seedlings, not leaf cuttings.

Here is a picture:
vftseedling.jpg

The stalk is near the center.  Sorry for the low quality, but VFT seedlings are TINY!!!

- Patrick

I put the ripe seed directly on a sand/peat mix in an undrained container, placed them under 4 4' 40W fluorescents, 2 white, 2 growlight...they sprouted within two weeks and in a few months have grown to what you see. Very easy to grow. I water them 2 - 3 times a week, never flooding them.

"BTW - It was peter"...what are you talking about?

- Patrick

OHHHHH - okay. Thanks.

I guess a cutting sending a stalk, while unique, doesn't surprise me that much because it's using mature material...this seedling is only a few months old, much too young to bloom by book standards!

- Patrick

Lol as bugweed has said lots of times "plants don`t read books"!

Yes - that's a great point. It's actually why I included the phrase "by book standards." It's very insightful, though. Sarracenia love to bloom outside of their "proper" time!

Back