What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much sun?

• Thread starter Snugulz
  • Start date
Is there such a thing as giving your VFTs too much (direct) sun?  If so, what are the consequences?  Just curious
smile.gif

yes, but still provide plentey of light, give them what i call "bright shade" which is shade but is warm, if you give it too much light it could burn it
smile_h_32.gif

There is such a thing as "too much, too fast". All my VFT's are in full sun all season here in upstate NY. If they are hardened off to full sun slowly in the spring over a couple of weeks, I think they can take direct sun without any problem anywhere the humidity is 40% or above.

I grow my VFT's outside in direct sunlight all summer long. As long as you're plants are adjusted to the sunlight it would not be a problem.

My largest and best looking VFTs are growing in an outside artificial bog in full sun. I also grow VFTs in full sun in 4-inch plastic pots. The main problem is that the soil in the pots can get very hot, however I have never had any plants cook. If I lived in areas here the air temp gets into the 100s F, I think partial shade during the hottest part of the day would be in order. Leo Song grew his CPs, including VFTs, in an outdoor lath house in southern California.

Expanding on what Tamlin and Elgecko said, it is unwise to take a plant that is stressed out and / or growing on a window sill and then thrust it outside. By the same token you don't take a VFT that was residing on a window sill at 70 degrees and slap it into a 40 degree fridge. Things need to be much more gradual, in both directions.

What would happen if the light changes weren't gradual? And how long should the process take?

I'm not so worried about temperature, but I recently moved my VFTs from an outside shady spot because they were showing signs of not getting enough light (long droopy leaves) to a different outside spot that got a lot more direct sun all day. It was kinda cloudy the next two days, which would help the gradual process, but the 3rd day and following days were bright.

Anyway, I suppose the damage (if any) is already done, but for next time... ;)

youd get a brown flytrap real fast
smile_m_32.gif

Take their word for granted, dont thrust them out in full sun real fast

What I do exactly is place new plants in a location which recieves early morning and late evening sun for a week before giving them all day sun. This always seems to be enough of an adjustment period for the plants.

Late afternoon and morning sun is what I use to harden off my plants in the spring. Providing broken sunlight is also an option. I've found with a little care most CP can accept such outdoor cultivation in my area. After a couple of weeks the plants get their protective coloration, and then they can take whatever sunlight is available - again, provided there is ample humidity. This was my best season ever with Dionaea. I put all the pots into an open 50 gallon aquarium, and gave them full sun. Man are they looking good! The aquarium is to keep the wasps at bay, and for the first time in 2 years I actually have a lot of open traps!

Temperature IS something to consider. It is part of the whole picture. Great Gestaldt! What I typically do, and this is for all CP's, is put them in my screened in porch area, where it receives outside air and temperature fluctuations. It is east-facing and gets morning and late evening light that is filtered through trees. They stay covered for a few days and depending upon how they have responded - or reacted - I will take off the cover. If all goes well, they are move to the front of the dwelling in a couple days, where it gets western exposure. Seems to work well. Don't tell anyone but I have D. adelae plantlets in full in this set up - but off to the side a bit, so it doesn't get as much sun.

My Brazilian buddy grows his D. adelae outside in full tropical sun. They look like chocolate with red drops on them. He has the humidity going for him there. Yes, you are right, it is a gestalt of conditions, all of which impact on each other with CP in general. The art of growing is discerning the optimal balance and then providing and maintaining it.

Back