What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions

This has been my first vft since I was 10 and of course it died, because I didn't know about dormancy back then. I live in Florida where it's mostly hot all year round, so the only place is my fridge or my closet, is a closet a good place? And how much water does a vft need, ( for dormancy and for active vfts), and can drosera aliciaes be in cold weather, since I planted one with my Vft. My vft isn't going through dormancy, but some advice beforehand will help and my plants are inside/outside, they are in a patio with plenty of sunlight and water, at least 3 inches, but I don't know if it's too much or too little, personally I don't think it's enough but then again too much can rot the roots
smile_n_32.gif
Sorry for the long post >;-D

Welcome to the forums! Long post? Nah, you should see some of the dissertations around here! Of the two major elements involved with dormancy - light and cold, light is the biggest influence. Let your plant head down the path toward dormancy with the naturally reduced photoperiod. Now the reuced temps part won't naturally get low enough in Florida, so it will have to be by artificial means. For that I am not sure. Perhaps Flytrapgurl will come across this post and elucidate, because you really don't want to toss an 80 degree plant into a 40 degree fridge. Some people use ice cubes in their set up to reduce temps, but that requires a lot of attention. The fridge, ultimately, is your best bet in a couple months, but there needs to be a heading in the direction interval in between.

I live in Miami and today a rat uprooted one of my vfts, So I had to replant it, I know some people here usually have problems with squirrels but no squirrels here, guess I have to buy mousetraps
mad.gif
What is the longest a trap could go disgesting something, one trap caught a sugar ant and it's been disgusting it for a week and a half and it hasn't rot or anything.

Back