What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trapped!

• Thread starter eyedocbob
  • Start date
Thought some of might find the picture of this granddaddy longlegs interesting.  I found it when I was watering my plants
img_0977.jpg

Ah yes, a familiar sight!

Don't be surprised if the trap rots attempting to digest that thing.  Over the course of this past summer, all 9 of my VFTs have caught at least 1 daddy longlegs and each and every one ended up a black rotten wad at the end of the leaf.

I never figured it out
smile_h_32.gif

EDIT: Some were brand new traps, too!

In my experience, the trap rotting sets in whenever a trap does not have the prey completely inside. If the seals are compromised, it rots away.

Lol mine have been doing that too! They do have a tendency to rot though...

I think this is the first year I haven't seen that sight in my flytraps
smile_n_32.gif
. As for them rotting the traps, my traps never rotted after catching a daddy longlegs.

Yeah, same here, Mine never rotted either. It does stress the traps out alittle more then ususal though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Sep. 25 2004,10:22)]I think this is the  first year I haven't seen that sight in my flytraps
smile_n_32.gif
.  As for them rotting the traps, my traps never rotted after catching a daddy longlegs.
Why? Did you cut off the legs?

Hmmm, that experience has a somewhat disturbing resemblance to your avatar BCK...

In my experience, I leave the legs uncut, and let the VFT do its work. Healthier ones aren't prone to rotting and weaker ones will rot easier. I don't think cutting off their legs would work either unless you can cut it past the digestive seal.

How is it possible for a daddy long legs to get trapped? They have such long legs and their body is not that close to the ground. Huh.
confused.gif

Nice picture BTW!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Sep. 27 2004,7:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Sep. 25 2004,10:22)]I think this is the first year I haven't seen that sight in my flytraps
smile_n_32.gif
. As for them rotting the traps, my traps never rotted after catching a daddy longlegs.
Why? Did you cut off the legs?
No, I left them alone. The trap didn't seem to mind having the legs stickking out and wiggling in the air, so I left it alone. Figured if it ain't broke don't fix it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hmmm, that experience has a somewhat disturbing resemblance to your avatar BCK...
Now that you mention it, there is a similarity in their predicaments
smile_n_32.gif
hehehe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ Sep. 27 2004,11:49)]How is it possible for a daddy long legs to get trapped? They have such long legs and their body is not that close to the ground. Huh.
confused.gif
Travis, there was a topic on that a while back and I believe it was decided or thought that they lowered themselves down to make a snack on the remains of a bug previously caught in the trap or to eat the nectar that forms along the teeth of the trap.

Man, I see that all the time. I'm surprised there are any daddy long legs left in my neck of the woods! As for trap rot, it does happen, but not too often.

That is a good point. It is to bad that they get caught. They are cute and harmless, unlike other spiders. Mine have never caught a daddy long legs before.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Travis @ Sep. 29 2004,12:48)]That is a good point. It is to bad that they get caught. They are cute and harmless, unlike other spiders. Mine have never caught a daddy long legs before.
there are two different kinds of daddy longlegs. Daddy Longlegs (look like, but not even spiders), and daddy longleg spiders. The daddy longleg spider CAN bite, theyre nasty...

I dunno I've always played around with the daddy long leg spiders. ONe of the few spiders I'm not terrified of. AS for the actual harvestmen (daddy longs) those are also fun to play around with. My flytraps have caught about 3 over the summer and none have rotted

I have only heard of one daddy long leg spider. I have picked them up before with no biting. As I just pick them up by their legs and throw them out the door.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The daddy longleg spider CAN bite, theyre nasty...
they're not venomous to humans and they don't hurt... why are they nasty?

Daddly longleg spider would be a cellar spider.

Just curious but has anyone found broken off legs in the traps?

Back