Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dormancy for hot climates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all can make it as difficult or complicated as you choose. I am too lazy to make it more complicated than necessary. I have been sticking my VFTs into my refrigerator a few months at a time for almost 30 years --- they don't seem to have a problem with it. I don't pick any particular time of year to do it either. Some of my VFTs are in there at almost any time, no matter the season. My VFTs don't seem to know any of that complicated stuff about gradually lower temps or shortening photoperiod. And, yes they continue to grow, gradually, no matter how cold or dark they are in the refrigerator. BTW in the wild they never actually seem to be 100% dormant, like, for instance, deciduous trees. Even in the wild, I've always seen them growing, though slower and smaller in the winter months.

Whenever they seem to slow their growth, I find that a stint in the cold / dark refrigerator seems to increase their subsequent vigor.

#*#*#*#*#*#*#*

BTW, logically what would you expect any plant to do when it starts getting less light and lower temperatures. Duh, it's gonna grow less and slower if it doesn't get knocked out of balance with its environment and adventitious organisms take it out.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to raise this debate yet again, but I have a friend in Brazil growing these plants outdoors with no problems with winter lows in the 50Fs. They never really go dormant, just slow in growth and make smaller traps.

I guess the best course is to experiment and decide for yourself what works best for you. Mine are underwater at 35-45F.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin,
    I like your underwater idea!
    that would solve the fridge-fungus problem..
    are they bare-root in water?
    im wondering how it would work to bare-root all my plants and dump them in a giant bowl of water and put *that* in the fridge!
    the bowl could be drained and refilled every few weeks..
    of course, I dont care for bare-rooting every year because I think the plants do better if their roots are disturbed as little as possible..
    but still, its a cool idea!
    Scot

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm certainly no expert botanist, but just looking at what happens outside, light and temperature are the biggest piece of the pie chart. I'm sure that there are pther factors, like precipitation, but every year, temps go up and they come down. Photoperiod increases and decreases. Having said that, temperature waffles its way in one direction or the other, while photoperiod is consistently in one direction or the other - and I don't think cloudy days or sunny days has a significant impact. Photoperiod and temperature work together, seemingly like a check and balance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12