User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simulating the dormancy period in a terrarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Several years ago I kept VFTs and pitchers under the same terrarium conditions. To produce dormancy you must first reduce the photoperiod down to 9-10 hours. Raising the lights to 12 inches above the plants also helps. Cut back on water too. If you have a basement with cooler temps thats also a big plus. HOWEVER, this situation is not optimal. I found that my plants stayed healthy for up to three seasons and then became weak and eventually died. It's worth the experience for a season or two though. Good Luck!
    In theory your setup should work, so maybe other factors caused their demise? I would adjust the photoperiod to 8 hours in November, 7 in December, 8 in Jan, 10 in Feb, 12 in March. The temperature should also be between 5 and 12C ideally for 3 months. If you can manage this Wendall they should be fine.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Light isn't necessary for VFT's when they are in the refridgerator since it is a much deeper kind of dormancy. I'd recommend refrigerator dormancy since its much easier and yields good results. Here's what i would do:
    -Take the plants and slowly introduce them to lower temperatures and lower their photoperiod.
    -After the temperature and photoperiod have been decreased, take them off their trays and keep them like that for a day before you stick them in the fridge so they arent too moist.
    -Take the plants (VFT's, Sarracenias) and cut off all growth and leave little stubs, then stick them in the fridge. (you shouldn't need fungicide since you are cutting off most of the growth)
    - Leave them in there for 3 months then bring the outside to a cool window so they can slowly come out of dormancy.

Also don't take the plant out of the soil, just cut the traps and the pitchers off, only leaving small stubs. Its easier on the plants since this way, they can keep their roots [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Thats the method i've heard many people use with effectiveness (over 10 years), and its what i plan to do this year.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i live in the springs, if you come down here on friday, november 26th, the colorado cp society is having a meeting, you could get lots of plants, and learn some too
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Oct. 30 2004,1:06)]i live in the springs, if you come down here on friday, november 26th, the colorado cp society is having a meeting, you could get lots of plants, and learn some too
    I just looked at my schedule. I gotta work.

Thanks for all the information, folks. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where and what time?
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12