User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simulating the dormancy period in a terrarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in Denver. We get blistering cold and feet of snow at times. I have 2 VFTs and 1 pitcher in a terrarium. They're all doing quite nicely (Reading, playing cards, going on Ebay, etc.). I have two 15 watt plant flourescent fixtures about 8 inches from the plants and they're on a timer for 16 hours every day with foil on the sides and a mirror on the back.

I'm tellin' ya, these plants are HAPPY!

BUT....

The dormancy period is arriving in about a month. I was wondering what the extremes of all the needed items (Light, temperature, humidity, etc) would be and still be able to keep them all in the same container that they're in. I'd hate to have to move them and shock them with a transplant. I was thinking of moving the whole contraption into the in-house shed in the back and try to regulate the temps and such.

Any tips to keep these happy plants..... umm... happy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have an unheated garage? If so I would leave them outside till it gets into the thirties. Then I would stick them in the garage. If not just unpot, get some moist long fiber sphagnum to wrap the roots in put in ziplock baggie in the fridge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ Oct. 18 2004,1:54)]If so I would leave them outside till it gets into the thirties. Then I would stick them in the garage.
    Quote[/b] ]Do you have an unheated garage?
    Nope.

Quote[/b] ]If not just unpot, get some moist long fiber sphagnum to wrap the roots in put in ziplock baggie in the fridge
    I'd read about that. What about the light needed for the plants to survive? I'd read that they still need light during dormancy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont like to keep temperate cp's in a terrarium for this reason, dormancy.
    if i were you, i would leave them out side, like ALLOSAURZ said, let nature take its place, trigger them into dormancy, then just tak em out, wash them, clean them with fungicide, and them place them into the fridge with some LFS, Or Paper towels (Barely Moist, not soaking wet). If plants are put through dormancy in the fridge like this, then they wont need light, because they are put into a heavy sleep.
    Normally in the ild, they would need sun light.
    what you can also do, is jsut leave em, then put them into the fridge when the time is right and give them a crash dormancy. idk if this is safe, but some people on this forum use this method, and it seems to have no effect on ther plants.
    Hope this has helped you a bit,
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were to keep them in a cooler place and lower the lighting to, say, 8-10 hours per day, would they still go dormant normally and wake up OK in the spring?

Also, the dates I read were roughly from Thanksgiving to Valentine's day. Does that sound about right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago I kept VFTs and pitchers under the same terrarium conditions. To produce dormancy you must first reduce the photoperiod down to 9-10 hours. Raising the lights to 12 inches above the plants also helps. Cut back on water too. If you have a basement with cooler temps thats also a big plus. HOWEVER, this situation is not optimal. I found that my plants stayed healthy for up to three seasons and then became weak and eventually died. It's worth the experience for a season or two though. Good Luck!
    Professor Carrington..\"We owe it to science to stand here and
    die rather than destroy a source of
    wisdom\".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No kidding? Crap! I'll just have to see what I can come up with then. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in december I purchased a bunch of clearence CPs(Sarracenia, and VFTs) from a local Lowes Hardware store. The fools in the nursery were still trying to grow them. I brought them home and set them out side for a week the wrapped, bagged, and stuck them in the fridge. Every single one of them survived. I would open the baggies every couple of weeks to allow freash air in. So I think Garage or cold window to fridge will work for you.
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast