Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Augh! mealy bugs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Nov. 11 2004,9:34)]How long have you had the VFT? Perhaps it came with them. I would also check all your other plants very carefully as they may have migrated from another plant. Mealies don't just arrive one day like some other airborne pests. Mealybugs can also camp out on pots, trays etc for a time, so look around the rims of the pots and underneath for little spots of cottony looking stuff.

Tony
    i've had the vft's since august, i would think they'd have come out by now...

i did just recently acquire the other four plants but i've checked them VERY carefully every day since i noticed the bugs on the VFT, and found nothing, not even a hint of fuzzyness. the bugs on the infected flytrap aren't even particularly furry, but that may be because there are so few of them (max one-two in any given area). they really don't look like anything else i can find online. could they have been dormant?
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scratch that... just discovered more on the haworthia and echeveria. must have been in the greenhouse. so far the kalanchoe and philodendron are unaffected and we're going to try to keep them that way i might just toss the echeveria, it's really not doing so hot, and the haworthia only had two on it so the alcohol may work. i'm going to invest in some insecticidal soap along with the alcohol tomorrow so i can treat all of my plants... meanwhile the two "clean" ones are FAR away from the rest and FAR away from each other, lest one still be infected, so only time will tell.

darn insects.
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would second Tony's initial suggestion to use orthene. It sounds like you have the mealies pretty well established in several pots and I doubt that your spot treatment with alcohol will do the trick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these anything like aphids? Could you just submerge the plant(s) under water for a day to drown the little critters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i gave the alcohol a shot (diluted it 1:4, figuring it may not be such a good idea to put pure rubbing alcohol onto notoriously sensitive plants). rather satisfying to see their plump little carapaces shrivel and brown on contact :P i'm hoping the things haven't had the time to establish themselves too thoroughly... i literally have not seen more than two individual insects at once, and no fuzzy nest things, so i'm hoping i nipped it in the bud. i'm also thinking of "drowning" the flytraps in distilled water for a day or so to take out anything in the soil, although form what i know mealybugs are diffucult to kill because they're essentially waterproof. maybe it'll hit any eggs?

where would i FIND ortene, or even insecticidal soap for the succulents? i just got back from walmart and they looked at me like i had six heads... "yeah, uh, maybe over by the Raid." or... how about no... oy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (moonflower @ Nov. 12 2004,11:04)]where would i FIND ortene, or even insecticidal soap for the succulents? i just got back from walmart and they looked at me like i had six heads... "yeah, uh, maybe over by the Raid." or... how about no... oy.
    Perhaps the wunderkind that work at Walmart need some learning. The active ingredient in Orthene is acephate. Try another garden center. Trade names for products containing acephate include Orthene, Asataf, Bug B Gone, Pillarthene, Kitron, Aimthane, Ortran, Ortho 12420, Ortril, Chrevron RE 12420, Orthene 755 (116, 9).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard this works with most CPs without killing them: Submerge them in water for a few days. Note that i do not know this for sure, just a rumor.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12