Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Augh! mealy bugs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gaaaahhhh [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

so i'm going over my vft's today making sure they're all happy and healthy... one of the traps on my dente had gotten a little black corner a day or so ago so as i went to snip it off i noticed that what i thought was a little fleck of dust inside the trap... kinda...had...legs. panicking, i cut the whole dang stem off and found several more up to an inch or two from the end of the trap. looking closer i found two more of the little buggers on a trap that hasn't even opened yet. no sign of them anywhere else, on the other VFT or the three succulents i have nearby. yet. 99.99% sure they're the mealybugs described on the ever-popular sarracenia.com which i quickly referenced cause i knew i'd seen them somewhere.

so... uh... short of a hack job removing *all* of the infested leaves, how do i kill these things i already moved it as far away as possible from the other plants. grrrrr.

thanx!!
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dab te spots with mealy with a cloth dipped in isopropyl alcohol. Do it a few times and it should fix the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use some orthene. Yes it's true if you hit them directly with alcohol it will kill them. However, mealybug will work their way down into the potting mix and infest the rhizome as well. You need to hit the plants with something that will knock off any unseen mealies. You might also need to reapply, depending on what you use, to kill any that hatch after the first treatment.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Nov. 09 2004,9:59)]I would use some orthene. Yes it's true if you hit them directly with alcohol it will kill them. However, mealybug will work their way down into the potting mix and infest the rhizome as well. You need to hit the plants with something that will knock off any unseen mealies. You might also need to reapply, depending on what you use, to kill any that hatch after the first treatment.

Tony
    Could you just drench the pot/plant with a bottle of alcohol and not harm the plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drenching the plant would not be a good idea. The alcohol would quickly go through the leaf surface, burn the roots etc.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOOOOOOHHHHH, DON'T PUT ALCOHOL IN YOUR POTS! BAD IDEA! It works conveniently to use the alcohol but a few times I had to reaply up to 4 times before riding my cactus pads of them d**n things. I have never used Orthene but it has to be quicker and easier than constant reapps to a plant and Cps are delicate enough without alcohol showers.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, isopropyl alcohol spot treatment... ugh i tweezed the litthe buggers off the original stems in the meantime but maybe four more have appeared... i was hoping my buddy in the chemistry stockroom could procure an ounce or so of isopropyl for me but otherwise i'll pick some up at the store tomorrow. you would think it would be a wee bit easier to find *alcohol* on a college campus, of all places

another question though, how does a plant acquire these little buggers anyway? i have a haworthia, an echeveria and a very pretty young kalanchoe that i've grown somewhat attached to and due to common interests in lighting, they all live together with the VFT's on the shelf above my desk. my baby philodendron was moved immediately upon discovering the infestation, since i know those are susceptible to mealy, but i left the succulents a little longer (why i dont know). besides than moving them to Outer Mongolia, are any other preventative measures i can take? when can i put them back under the good light so they'll be happy?

thanx!!
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long have you had the VFT? Perhaps it came with them. I would also check all your other plants very carefully as they may have migrated from another plant. Mealies don't just arrive one day like some other airborne pests. Mealybugs can also camp out on pots, trays etc for a time, so look around the rims of the pots and underneath for little spots of cottony looking stuff.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast