Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Found a vft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If it was a dog and the owner abused it, the ASPCA would GIVE THE owner another chance if the owner is willing to.
    thats not true..at least not true in most cases.
    My fiance and I volunteer at a local large animal shelter..we walk the dogs. so we hear about some of the big abuse cases..
    a local farm found with 10 horses near starvation, some dead.
    dozens of dogs and cats in the house, some dead, some so far gone they had to be euthinized..
    ALL the animals were taken to this shelter and nursed back to health, and the owner does NOT get a second chance!
    the owner gets a hefty fine or jail time!

yes, you can say "theft is theft" no matter what..and you can rationalize that this "VFT theft" is absolutely wrong because of the way you choose to rationalize it..
    but I can also say "abuse is abuse" and the owner of the VFT, or horses, or beaten wives and children, whatever, does not DESERVE a second chance..
    and I can feel perfecty fine with that decision.
    If the police remove beaten children from abusive parents and put them in foster homes is that "theft" of the children from their rightfull owners??
    of course not..
    yes, im using an extreme analogy, but the VFT was nearly dead!
    from abuse! so the analogy isnt really that far off..
    so yeah, it can be rationalized both ways..

Nickz, if I were you I would just stop reading this thread.
    let the "morally superior" (as they imagine themselves) go on and on all they like..
    if you feel that what did was the right thing, then thats all that matters.
    whoever left that plant doesent deserve a thing IMO..
    the living plant is worth more than that persons feelings!
    just make your stand, ignore this thread, and go enjoy you LIVING vft!
    (sounds like you already did that anyway!
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scottychaos, I was not taking the abuse case that far, but if a person neglects or doesn't know how to take care of their dog a little and is willing to give the dog a second chance then yes the ASPCA would definnitly give the owner a second chance, the dog probably has a better chance with the willing owner then the ASPCA. I don't know if the same rules apply to your area, but ANY dog that is a mutt or alittle older has only 3 day to get adopted before being killed. So which is better? Letting the dog get a second chance with their owner or take chances with adoption where if no one wants it in three days the dog will be killed?
    It just comes to the amount of abuse that the person did to the animal. I'm reffering to not taking proper care of the dog because of lack of knowledge or such. If they hit the dog or worse, then yes I wouldn't have a problem with the police taking them away!
    Scotty, it really doesn't matter if it was a little VFT or a million dollars. The fact is that he stole and it's not right. How do you know the other end of the story? Maybe the owner loved the plant but didn't know how to take care of it. Or maybe he accidently left the plant outside and went home forgetting it over the weekend and the plant dried out. Maybe he's looking for the plant and is going crazy trying to find it.
    I've killed a few plants here and there because I forgot to water them and they looked like I neglected them. Does that make it right for you or Nick to just come over and steal my dried out plant without knowing the whole story? If Nick came by my house he would ASSUME that I was a newbie just like the other theft case of the VFT and steal the plant. Maybe the plant was one of my rarer ones like my beloved Dionaea Crested trap or Long Red Finger. Or maybe it was my Cup trap which as you all know a picky plant and goes sick without explanation, I don't think nick would be able to cure that plant even though it looks sickly and it looks like I neglected it but in truth that's not the full story. So he would just take it home with the same attitude thinking he's saving it when I had a MUCH better chance at saving it since I've probably been growing VFT's longer then he has.
    NO, its wrong and if it was me I would miss the plant greatly and be mad. I would rather find my plant dead and learn from it, then to have it stolen not knowing where it went!
    Any other arguments from both of you guys? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (peter @ Nov. 28 2004,9:21)]Any other arguments from both of you guys? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]
    no, im done..
    but thanks for asking!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GOOD! I got my point through. Now, Nick just bring the plant back, post a note saying your sorry along with a care sheet and lets call it a day. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He left it alone AND in bad conditions... he doesn't deserve the plant. If you wouldn't of picked up the plant in the first place it would be dead right now... Keep it, you saved it, if it wasn't for you it would be dead right now.
    They say if you play a Microsoft CD backwards, you hear satanic messages. Thats nothing, cause if you play it forwards, it installs Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok... a plant is not a dog.

and when the ASPCA gets a report of cruelty, i believe they leave a notice with the owner telling them that if they don't shape up fast, their animal will be taken away. for better or worse, like it or not, animals are *property*, and if you take a neglected dog out of its own backyard without giving notice, regardless of the morality of the situation, you WILL be fined/arrested. there was just an article in my local paper about a woman who tried to "rescue" a dachshund puppy from a pet store that is well known to be more than a little negligent with its animals, and *surprise* i believe she was fined at least the cost of the puppy, if she wasn't arrested outright. yes, the dog was neglected, yes, the place should be shut down and any last trace of it burned away, but that did not make stealing the puppy moral.

plants are also PROPERTY, therefore taking a plant that's been left on a table qualifies as THEFT, "neglected" or not. also it's a lot harder to tell if a plant (especially a plant as finicky as a VFT) has really been neglected, or if it just randomly decided to get sick, or if it was just recently purchased. on a similar note, if Home Depot is "abusing" its plants, does that make it right to just take one of theirs?

PLEASE put the plant back!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] and next time, just leave a little water and a note!
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finder Keepers. I have actually heard that from several people that were later convicted of the theft. You would be shocked how many guns have been "found laying in a ditch on the side of the road". IT'S Amazing. Another popular place to get something that does not belong to you is "some guy gave it to me". IT'S AMAZING, perfect strangers giving away goods. What a great world we live in.

Theft is theft. Offenses of theft are graded by value, but they all remain thefts.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast