What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found a vft

Status
Not open for further replies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Dec. 04 2004,9:34)]I think this should just end with Nick probably didn`t know it was wrong and it may not have been wrong we just don`t know only his conciense(SP?) will dictate.....
Its not wrong, he saved it from death.

Limited perspectives. Wrong because it is stealing, right because it saved a plant. Personally, I would have left it alone, as it DID NOT belong to me. Saving it was a good thing, but at what cost to the person taking it. The law would not care about the fact it was saved, but more about the fact it wasn't yours to take. In effect, you became a poacher of sorts from stealing the plant, though your motives were good. The law doesn't care about your good intentions, and would put the screws to you in a heartbeat, and there goes a sterling reputation, shot to hel1. Regardless the intent, leave what does not belong to you alone. Shouldn't your parents have taught you this??

The most I would of done is watered it a little. I would ask around to find the owner, and give him a caresheet.

It's only one plant out of 1000+ mass produced tissue culture plants. When I was first growing CP's, I probably killed 4 or 5 of these. Trial and error taught me how to take care of it.

Im sure you wouldn't want someone to take your VFT if you left it outside, even if it was dry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Dec. 04 2004,10:52)]Limited perspectives. Wrong because it is stealing, right because it saved a plant. Personally, I would have left it alone, as it DID NOT belong to me. Saving it was a good thing, but at what cost to the person taking it. The law would not care about the fact it was saved, but more about the fact it wasn't yours to take. In effect, you became a poacher of sorts from stealing the plant, though your motives were good. The law doesn't care about your good intentions, and would put the screws to you in a heartbeat,  and there goes a sterling reputation, shot to hel1. Regardless the intent, leave what does not belong to you alone. Shouldn't your parents have taught you this??
Well fine then. I would GLADLY go to prison if I saved a bunch of plants if they were going to die.
At the end of the day, i would be proud of what I did. And if the law works like that, it is tottaly screwed.

Sun Pitcher,
How do you knwo if the owner could not care less?
If he neglected a plant like that then he doesnt deserve a second chance, he could have at least tried by watering it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Dec. 01 2004,10:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Nov. 28 2004,8:50)]He left it alone AND in bad conditions... he doesn't deserve the plant. If you wouldn't of picked up the plant in the first place it would be dead right now... Keep it, you saved it, if it wasn't for you it would be dead right now.

"He left it alone" Definately a bad thing to do in a public place.  You never know when some dishonest person might come along and steal it.

"If you wouldn't of picked up the plant in the first place it would be dead right now..."  A truly regrettable fate for such a great plant.  On the other hand, by leaving it I would not be a thief.  I could have stayed around to see if someone would claim it and left a note if they didn't telling how to contact me to get the plant back.  Then I would have had a chance to meet somebody that might share my interest in CPs.  Somebody I could trade plants with later when they started growing other CPs.  Sure, taking the plant gets you a nice dentate VFT almost for free.  I say almost, because now my integrity is tainted by the knowledge I stole a plant from someone.  Depriving them of a chance to grow it and second it cost me a potential friend.  The loss of integrity and the missed chance to make a friend are pretty high costs to me.
i couldnt of said it better BCK

STARMAN!!!!!!!! Wrong again! Prison for what may well be a TC'ed plant? A commercial "crank'em out"? No guy. Stealing is stealing, and stealing is wrong. BCK is right to say what he said, and stealing makes you untrustworthy, no matter what the excuse you use for taking someone else's property. I thoroughly support the caresheet idea. Better to keep your integrity, than be a thief.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Dec. 04 2004,2:14)]STARMAN!!!!!!!! Wrong again! Prison for what may well be a TC'ed plant? A commercial "crank'em out"? No guy. Stealing is stealing, and stealing is wrong. BCK is right to say what he said, and stealing makes you untrustworthy, no matter what the excuse you use for taking someone else's property. I thoroughly support the caresheet idea. Better to keep your integrity, than be a thief.
Well I sitll trust Nick because he had a good reason for taking the plant.
I am sure he would have left it alone if it was happy and standing in a tray of rainwater.
Stealing can be the right thing to do in some circumstances, like this one.
If it saves a plants or humans life, i will support it.
If a person just put the plant and left it like that for days, they dotn deserve a second chance with it.
They could have at least tried to take care of it by watering it.

I would steal to save a persons life not a plant though unless it was in the wild.

And that is the difference. A human life is one thing, a commercially produced, we got a million of'em, plant is not worth losing your integrity over. If it were wild, yes, preservation of a destroyed habitat by saving as much as you can. But taking anothers property is NOT correct. I do admire Starman's tenacity though. Make a great conservationist someday. Remember, we are talking property. Not a wild plant. And besides, how do you know the person didn't just buy it, and knew it wouldn't die that day, and would last until he could get it home, and set it up properly? If the person did know what he/she was doing, and bought it to save it, well you just deprived them of the enjoyment of saving a life themselves by self righteously proclaiming yourself a saviour of their property. It was stolen, end of story.

Hey, the best solution came from a 13 tear old boy from Nevada.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Dec. 05 2004,8:24)].
Yep! I also noticed Nickz123 disappeared after page 2 when he found out that he would not be hailed as the conquering hero, but rather as the thief he made himself. However, reading this thread makes me realize why plants that belonged to me were stolen at CP Society shows. I didn't deserve the d. macrophylla I had spent years germinating, because somebody else thought so. Dang! Maybe I should have liberated those d. capillaris that I thought looked a little dry, or that nep cutting 'cause maybe this guy doesn't know how to care for it, or that sarracenia that I saw looking a little peaked. I am glad this thread came up though. I have read the replies of a number of people that I can now put in my "Ya just can't trust them" category. 1 or 2 of those folks haven't shown much logic anyway. A real shame making up excuses to steal. Very lame.

The way I see it is that if he wanted to buy it as a impulse buy and kill it, or didn't know how, thats his/her business. No "CP rights laws". Also note that the dentate is a cultivar of sorts-not quite something you'd find in the wild so conservation doesn't quite apply here.

*inserts mass TC comment*

But here on Cyberspace all we can do is try to persuade, its up to you if your conscience burdens you or not.

Speaking of conservationists vs land developers I think I need to start a topic in the general forum...

I love it how " losing your integrity" has worked its way into this discussion..
so stealing the plant means " losing your integrity"??
I would be more worried about my integrity if I did nothing and let the plant die..
saving the plant would INCREASE my "integrity"..
letting the plant die would result in a "loss of integrity"..

hasnt anyone figured out by now that this whole thing is just minor shades of grey?
they are good and bad aspects of either decision..taking the plant or leaving it.

Taking the plant is "bad" for the neglectfull owner, because his property was "stolen"..and he lost his plant.
But! NOT taking the plant is ALSO bad for the neglectfull owner, because he loses the plant anyway..(it dies)..
so either way the original owner loses..so either way is a wash there.
its "even" either way...both ways its a loss..

Taking the plant is "bad" for Nick, because he "lost his intregrity",
and he is a "theif"..
Taking the plant is "good" for Nick, because he saved its life.
thats morally better than letting it die..
but taking the plant is morally worse than letting it die, because its stealing..
so for Nick, its 50/50, depending on your point of view..
so either way can be good, and either way can be bad..
so its also a wash.

Now..for the 3rd player in this drama, the plant itself.
taking the plant is GOOD for the plant, becase it lives.
Not taking the plant is BAD for the plant, it dies..
so the plant is a clear-cut winner by it being "stolen"..
so, when you add up the 3 players, only one scenerio is a clear-cut win..
and that is stealing the plant, and the plant lives..

therefore, taking the plant was obviously the right thing to do!
laugh.gif

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Dec. 05 2004,3:25)]
Yep! I also noticed Nickz123 disappeared after page 2 when he found out that he would not be hailed as the conquering hero, but rather as the thief he made himself.
or..an alternative theory..
I noticed Nickz123 disapperared after page 2 when he found out what a bunch of self-rightious whiners and "holier than thou" types are on this forum.
He made his decision, was happy with it, let the whole issue go, and didnt feel the need to waste his time by listening to people who insist on preaching endlessly..

scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Dec. 04 2004,10:52)]Limited perspectives. Wrong because it is stealing, right because it saved a plant. Personally, I would have left it alone, as it DID NOT belong to me. Saving it was a good thing, but at what cost to the person taking it. The law would not care about the fact it was saved, but more about the fact it wasn't yours to take. In effect, you became a poacher of sorts from stealing the plant, though your motives were good. The law doesn't care about your good intentions, and would put the screws to you in a heartbeat, and there goes a sterling reputation, shot to hel1. Regardless the intent, leave what does not belong to you alone. Shouldn't your parents have taught you this??
thats not true... in law if rules are broken for good that is also taken into consideration. I.E. if a policeman kills a person because they were a threat to others.. the policeman wont be penalized. Or a person killing another for their protection. Even for something as simple as going past a red light because someone is sick or something like that, its all taken into consideration. i don't think theres a right or wrong here... just different ways of thinking about it. It just so happens most people here obey the law, or are following everyone else that posted it should have been left alone...

Still missing the point, I see.

A man is driving his wife to the hospital at 3am..
She is very pregnant and the time has come!
the roads are deserted, the man slows down for red lights, but if no other cars are in sight, he runs through them..
he is also driving a bit over the speed limit! ;)
He notices a cop car coming up behind him!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

But the cop does not turn on his lights, instead the cop stays a bit behind..
so the man keeps speeding and going past red lights!
They get to the hospital, the man takes his wife inside, hands her off to the hospital staff, then runs back outfront to move his car and "face the music" from the policeman..
the cop simply says "I just wanted to make sure it was for a good reason." and drives away.

Thats OK Scotty. You can always argue your case with a cop. But considering your responses, I don't know. Even if they told you that you were wrong, you wouldn't even hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back