What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found a vft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh,the loaf of bread at the store is going to mold because nobody buys it.I think I'll go steal it instead of buying it so it does not go to waste.I'm being sarcastic,but sounds kinda like the vft story.

Jerry

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cool85k5 @ Dec. 06 2004,9:29)]Oh,the loaf of bread at the store is going to mold because nobody buys it.I think I'll go steal it instead of buying it so it does not go to waste.I'm being sarcastic,but sounds kinda like the vft story.

Jerry
To me too.

yeah..me too.
because there havent been a billion posts clearly explaining WHY that isnt the same thing at all.
let me try!

"the donut store employee dropped a donut on the floor, I will just take it and not pay for it, just so it doesnt go to waste"

ohh! that was fun.
how about:

"my roomate dropped a $20 bill on the floor and didnt notice..
I will just take it because he obviously didnt want it anymore"

im getting the hang of this now!

"A guy kicked his puppy, tied it to a tree in a snowstorm, and drove away.
I better not do anything, because he might come back for it.
and if I took the puppy, that would be stealing.
I will just go home and hopefully the puppy will be ok."

hmmm..yep, those all look the same to me.
Why cant people see that those are all examples of stealing, and taking those things would ALWAYS be wrong?
its all so clear!
I just dont understand how people think..
smile_h_32.gif

Scot

Comparing a plant to a puppy or any living creature that feels pain is a totally different thing...  if a puppy was abused like that then Sure it would have been right to take it because WE KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE OWNER DOESN"T HAVE THE MENTAL ABILITY TO TAKE CARE OF THE PUPPY when he knew how to care for it at first.... go figure
In a case of a VFT- almost everyone has killed their first VFT before knowing how to take care of the plant properly, this includes ME TOO!  and if the VFT was mine, how would you guys know if I cared about the plant or not?... For some people they put all their hearts into their first vft but regardlessly fail doing so because they follow the  "How to kill a VFT in a Day" instructions.  Are you going to generalize them as a "DONT CARE ABOUT THEIR PLANT" type of people and not even give them a chance to redeem their mistakes?
Well, Scotty, Nick, Starman, and Amateur Expert sure do think so.  At least leave a note that if they were missing the plant, call so and so and ATTEMPT of find out who the person is... that is not considered stealing.
That would be ALOT MORE heroic and MIGHT EVEN ADD ON A NEW MEMBER TO THIS FORUM and make a new friend in the end!  But instead, Nick doesn't get the point between theft and good morals and steal the plant.
Maybe if you "temporaly House the VFT" and leave notes and try to find the real owner then that would be more coragous and not considered a theft, more of a heroic action for others to look up to.  
So there you go, get the point now?  There is a fine line between your intentions of stealing and a couragous effort.

yes, I get it now..finally.
thank you, because I just wasnt getting it at all before..
im just dense.

So, I should leave a note by the puppy, explaining proper puppy care.
but leave the puppy tied to the tree.
so IF the owner returns, and the puppy is dead, at least he will be better educated next time..
got it! thanks...

Scot

(I know what you are going to say..
I did that on purpose, to make a point..
what was that point?)

ok, never mind..bad example.

ok, I agree that taking the plant, AND leaving a note could be a good idea.
but..its just an opinion..its not the ONLY right thing to do..
personally, I dont believe in giving neglect another chance.
whether its the puppy, the abused children, the VFT, whatever..
if someone is too lazy or ignorant to learn the proper care for a living thing, or too apathetic to care and lets it die, then IMO they lose all rights to it.
and I dont care what the law says.

im taking the puppy, and im not leaving a note.
the owner has no rights as far as im concerned.
abuse leading to near death does not deserve a second chance.
same thing, on a smaller scale, with the VFT..

Im right.
so are you.
Nick only has to agree with one of us.

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Dec. 06 2004,9:24)]yeah..me too.
because there havent been a billion posts clearly explaining WHY that isnt the same thing at all.
let me try!

"the donut store employee dropped a donut on the floor, I will just take it and not pay for it, just so it doesnt go to waste"

ohh! that was fun.
how about:

"my roomate dropped a $20 bill on the floor and didnt notice..
I will just take it because he obviously didnt want it anymore"

im getting the hang of this now!

"A guy kicked his puppy, tied it to a tree in a snowstorm, and drove away.
I better not do anything, because he might come back for it.
and if I took the puppy, that would be stealing.
I will just go home and hopefully the puppy will be ok."

hmmm..yep, those all look the same to me.
Why cant people see that those are all examples of stealing, and taking those things would ALWAYS be wrong?
its all so clear!
I just dont understand how people think..
smile_h_32.gif

Scot
The first isn`t stealing? Unless I missunderstood that donut person could eat it so it wouldn`t go to waste right?

Never mind, Peter. Don't bother.

Yeah, I've given up... there are just some people who are pretty stubborn....

It sounds to me like all of you guys are just tring to prove your intelligence. And havn't you guys noticed that the guy who started this discusion hasn't said anything since the second page. I think your just wasting valuble internet space on your non-stoppable rambling.

But thats just me....
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter @ Dec. 06 2004,10:40)]Comparing a plant to a puppy or any living creature that feels pain is a totally different thing...  if a puppy was abused like that then Sure it would have been right to take it because WE KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE OWNER DOESN"T KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THE PUPPY.... go figure
In a case of a VFT- almost everyone has killed their first VFT before knowing how to take care of the plant properly, this includes ME TOO!  and if the VFT was mine, how would you guys know if I cared about the plant or not?... For some people they put all their hearts into their first vft but regardlessly fail doing so because they follow the  "How to kill a VFT in a Day" instructions.  Are you going to generalize them as a "DONT CARE ABOUT THEIR PLANT" type of people and not even give them a chance to redeem their mistakes?
Well, Scotty, Nick, Starman, and Amateur Expert sure do think so.  At least leave a note that if they were missing the plant, call so and so and ATTEMPT of find out who the person is... that is not considered stealing.
That would be ALOT MORE heroic and MIGHT EVEN ADD ON A NEW MEMBER TO THIS FORUM and make a new friend in the end!  But instead, Nick doesn't get the point between theft and good morals and steal the plant.
Maybe if you "temporaly House the VFT" and leave notes and try to find the real owner then that would be more coragous and not considered a theft, more of a heroic action for others to look up to.  
So there you go, get the point now?  There is a fine line between your intentions of stealing and a couragous effort.
Oh look at that, now youre getting all mouthy and shouting.
Im backing Nick up, no matter what you say.
So carry on using CAPITAL LETTERS, it gets you nowhere with me.

And about the loaf of bread, why not take it?
Its mouldy so no one will eat it.

No bugweed, he didnt stop posting because of that, he stopped posting because you will instantly pounce on him like a lion.

Oh and peter....

even if nick did do that, how do you know the owner wont kill it anyway?
I have explained to kids at school how to look after their VFT(some bought one) And I ask them how it is in 2 weeks time and they say: I forgot to water it, it died.
And I gave them caring instructions on paper and everything!

Starman, first off it was not ment as a shouting type of thing.... it's just to help people get the main points that I'm trying to say in their heads...  

Oh and peter....
I have explained to kids at school how to look after their VFT(some bought one) And I ask them how it is in 2 weeks time and they say: I forgot to water it, it died.
Starman if you said that about everybody, nearly 75+ percent of the people on this forum wouldn't be on here now including me.  It took me and PLENTY of other people a few VFT's before they wonder how to keep it alive and research them on the internet to find how to REALLY care for them.
If you treated everyone with a stuck up attitude and treat them like newbies and assume that they will not give the plants a second try then you are not worthy of being a cp grower.  That may seem harsh but just ask any long time grower and they will give you the same answer.
Scotty, try reading my WHOLE passage and interpret it as a whole before stating comments...
smile_m_32.gif

I said that its not the same to compare a animal who has feelings to a vft... EVERYONE KNOWS HOW TO TAKE CARE OF A DOG, so he only gets one try to take care of it.
FOR A VFT IT'S A WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY, PEOPLE TAKE CARE OF IT AS IF IT WAS A TROPICAL HOUSEPLANT, and so therefore they should get another chance to take care of the plant. They didn't know how to properly take care of it in the beggining regardless of their efforts so it's not their fault the plant died. Get it know?....
confused.gif
That's not too hard to understand...

Peter,
why must you assume your opinion is the only CORRECT opinion?
thats really annoying...
I have explained to you several times why we are both right..
you are the one not "getting it"...
the world is not required to agree with you..
and it often wont..get used to it.

What makes me mad is that people keep on comparing a dog to a vft and I clearly explained the differences and still they use it as defense when it's already been disproven.
And you are right I don't get it... it is because there is no real meat in your argument that really disproves what I say. All you've been doing is using comparisons that don't even match up with the topic even though I already said they don't match several times and you seem to not get it.
I have nothing more to say, and I know people who are honest know what I'm talking about regardless. And those who don't... well... I hope after reading this they know who is right in the end. I gave several examples on how he could of made the situation a better one so that is techincally not a one sided opinion... this can be seen through my first post and the ones later on. And if you guys can't even agree on some of those aspects I wrote then I have give up...

Starman, first off it was not ment as a shouting type of thing.... it's just to help people get the main points that I'm trying to say in their heads...  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Oh and peter....
Starman if you said that about everybody, nearly 75+ percent of the people on this forum wouldn't be on here now including me.  It took me and PLENTY of other people a few VFT's before they wonder how to keep it alive and research them on the internet to find how to REALLY care for them.
If you treated everyone with a stuck up attitude and treat them like newbies and assume that they will not give the plants a second try then you are not worthy of being a cp grower.  That may seem harsh but just ask any long time grower and they will give you the same answer.
Scotty, try reading my WHOLE passage and interpret it as a whole before stating comments...
smile_m_32.gif

I said that its not the same to compare a animal who has feelings to a vft... EVERYONE KNOWS HOW TO TAKE CARE OF A DOG, so he only gets one try to take care of it.
FOR A VFT IT'S A WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY, PEOPLE TAKE CARE OF IT AS IF IT WAS A TROPICAL HOUSEPLANT, and so therefore they should get another chance to take care of the plant.  They didn't know how to properly take care of it in the beggining regardless of their efforts so it's not their fault the plant died.  Get it know?....  
confused.gif
  That's not too hard to understand...
Dont you go around telling me what Im worthy of doing or what Im not worthy of doing, plants are my life! And just because you ASSUME that your argument is the ONLY one CORRECT it doesnt mean it is! And how am I not worthy exactly? I am going to pot up CPs and put them around my new school as a school gardening project and I am going to teach everyone about Carnivorous plants if they are intrested, and I will try to give them some of my spares.
You have NO IDEA how devoted I am, so you have NO RIGHT to make statements like that.

And why not use a bit of logic?
The plant was BONE DRY, and I dont think thats a way to treat any plant(except for cactus and succulents) and I dont think keeping a plant bone dry is treating it as a tropical houseplant.Its called not caring or not wanting to care for it.

It took me a few VFTs too, but I TRIED to take care of it, I WATERED it and gave it SUN, I didnt keep it bone dry in a dark room!
Sure, I used tap water and it died, but at least I TRIED.
This person was clearly NOT trying.

Enough of this crap.

Everyone is making assumptions and rationalizing why it's ok to steal someone elses property. Which is a load of crap in itself.

So let me make one.. Maybe the person is an expert CP grower and they just bought the plant a few minutes ago from some hardware store counter and had stepped out to go get it a glass of water because the hardware store had kept it bone dry. Make all the rationalizations and assumptions you want. It doesn't make it right to take something that's not yours.

And yes I get to have the last word. Don't like it? Then leave.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back