What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

December scapes

Its late and those darn kids are still not asleep! It has been freezing here, frost and everything, but the kids are up. VFT's flowering in December is not common, and this year for whatever reason, the VFT's decided to continuously flower. They slacked off in September, but it has been one scape after the other all year long. Even now, I just checked them, and spotted 2 more. Sigh. They just won't sleep, even though it is freezing. Darn VFT kids. Now this is an absolute first for me. Anybody else have flowering VFT's in Decenber? Bob Z.?

All mine are behaving,no flowers.
biggrin.gif

Jerry

Nope, just my D. x anglica (CA x HI) is sending up a scape when it should be sleeping.
smile_h_32.gif

While thats a tropical plant N.gracilis

Give 'em a good book to read!
smile_n_32.gif
Oh, that's right - they don't read books! YOU read to them a bedtime story - like War and Peace. They may not make it all the way through, but they should get through war.
smile_m_32.gif

Perfect, Jim!!!!! I'll pull out the Tolstoy. No one I know of has ever been able to stay awake through Tolstoy. Rest at last!!!! Thanks, Jim!!!

Pondboy, it can go dormant like its temperate parent. i was hoping for that as it may have been more robust this spring.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Dec. 05 2004,9:02)]Perfect, Jim!!!!! I'll pull out the Tolstoy. No one I know of has ever been able to stay awake through Tolstoy. Rest at last!!!! Thanks, Jim!!!
No problem. When there is NO substance to write, there is always something goofy to express.

Still flowering for me: D. capensis, D. sp.Cuba 1 (whatever that really is), U. livida, U. sandersonii, U. bisquamata, Byblis liniflora, and some pigmy dew, whose name has bleached away by s the sun.
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Dec. 05 2004,8:55)]Now this is an absolute first for me. Anybody else have flowering VFT's in Decenber? Bob Z.?
Yes, Bugweed. It must be a northern California thing this year. I have had perhaps 20 or so of my outdoor VFTs put up flower buds within the past couple of weeks. It may be because we had a quite warm couple of weeks in early November that fooled my VFTs into thinking it was spring. Now we have had a week where it has been frosty every night, but I am still getting flower buds. Interestingly, I have not been getting flower buds in my unheated greenhouse where daytime temps routinely get in the 70F+, only in my outdoor bog.

All my plants live outdoors. It is very strange that the plants seem to be unaffected by the frost, and grow like it isn't even there. And the flowers come up, and even bloom. This is cool!

They're all in their winter rosettes, too. Looking fat and happy despite the freeze.

Back