Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "doesn't need dormancy its first year"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Scott. First year dormancy seems to be otpional for me. I prefer to let a new plant(when purchased in late summer or fall) skip dormancy so the plant can grow out quicker. Dormancy isn't as crucial as I once thought it was, panicking about when/how/what temps/fridge or outside/lights ect. I know a few growers(Brad Adler, a member here by the name of Nepsaoundthehouse, and a few other friends of the these people including myself) who grow warm-temperate plants outdoors all year in Sou Cali frostless coast in Ventura. Ventura winters have lows of 46F to 50F and highs in the 60's and 70's. Sometimes I would get plants from AU that began dormancy for the summer. I just plant the VFTs up normally and leave the plant outdoors to acclimate to the northern hemisphere seasons. I've had heat streaks in my in mid dormancy once. Temps rose to the 90's for about a week. However, no plants seemed affected. I also get hot dry Santa Ana's regularly throughout the winters and all my plants are fine. Like Brad says, enjoy growing you plants, let your plants observe and let them do what they want.
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those of us who purchased our VFT's form a garden center such as Home Depot or Lowes, are those plants TC? Also, how old are those plants? If older than a year, did the TC growing company put them through dormancy? More importantly, is the plant "expecting" dormancy? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

Most mass market plants arrive at places like HD and Lowes right from TC. So if you go buy one now then it would fall into the catagory of not needing dormancy.

And Scotty,

I have skipped first year dormancy for most all of my TC originated plants and never had any ill effects
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

Not to mention(and anyone can chime in on this one)...how many places that sell tc flytraps can keep one alive for...say, six months(other than the cp dealers)?
    They are fresh, trust me.
    Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i bought my VFT's from home depot in august, and save for a few dead traps thanks to those ever-so-charming mealy bugs (which are mostly gone! yay!), they do not appear to want a dormancy yet, and i wasn't planning on giving them one. they're putting out new traps left and right. why risk sticking them in the fridge just yet?
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (moonflower @ Dec. 08 2004,5:49)]why risk sticking them in the fridge just yet?
    ok, good examples everyone..thanks!
    maybe TC plants can skip a dormancy..

but..as to "why risk sticking them in the fridge just yet?"
    you have to also consider that NOT sticking them in the fridge could be a *bigger* risk, long term, than sticking them in the fridge right now!
    If you *dont* stick your plants in the fridge at all this winter, how healthy will they be by next July?..
    I still say dormancy is always better than no dormancy..
    even if you *think* your plants seem fine, they will likely still be better off long-term with a dormancy every winter..

you have to think in terms of years..not just "right now"..

but..if skipping is working for plants, and plants that get skipped are still alive 5 years later..then thats all well and good..
    but I still think the vast majority of people who are "first dormancy skippers" are people who have had plants for less than a year..
    IMO, its still a huge, and very unnecessary risk..
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Dec. 08 2004,1:08)]you have to also consider that NOT sticking them in the fridge could be a *bigger* risk, long term, than sticking them in the fridge right now!
    Scotty, using your own argument against you, where is the proof of this statment? AFAIK there is no solid proof that skipping one dormancy is dooming your plant to a slow and miserable death in the years to come

Quote[/b] ]you have to think in terms of years..not just "right now"..

but..if skipping is working for plants, and plants that get skipped are still alive 5 years later..then thats all well and good..
    but I still think the vast majority of people who are "first dormancy skippers" are people who have had plants for less than a year..
    IMO, its still a huge, and very unnecessary risk..
    I have had plants for 5 years so maybe you will be willing to believe me some. You want in terms of years, I have 6 VFTs that I purchased 4 years ago in the month of October. I skipped dormancy that year, growing them inside under a 16 hour photoperiod. The next spring I moved them outside and they have been outside ever since. Now granted it is not the 5 years that you requested but they are alive and well and have flowered the past 3 years and I have gotten seed each year so as far as I am concerned they are healthy and suffering no problems. I also have 3 S. purps a flava and 2 minors that skipped their first year dormancy and like the VFTs they are all doing well 2 and 3 years along.

One thing I would like to ask is, why do you demand that others provide proof that it can be done while you fail to offer any proof that it can not be done? You are demanding that others give you undenyable proof that skipping first year dormancy is not detrimental. Okay fine, but flip side of the coin, I want you to provide undenyable proof that skipping first year dormancy is detrimental. That seems only fair to me.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really keep track, but I've got my first vft when I was 11? But killed it, then I bought another one and seriously got started growing them at the age of 14? or 13? around there and grew them according to some forums and instructions. The first forum I went on was the Garden web one which got me started and I stayed as a regular member there for quite a while without knowing about ********** until someone reccommended it to me. Every since then I've been growing them till know.
    And to anserw your question scotty I bought my first VFT from here in end of summer and grew it in a terrainium fine throughout the winter.
    Here was a picture of it from the middle of summer and as you can see two of them skipped their first dormacy and the others didn't (Bought the other two in spring 2004, I don't really see a difference what so ever in the growth.
    So here is my evidence-

Out of the three dente's one of them skipped dormacy
    Luckily these guys got lucky and avoided the scotts peat moss.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast