Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "doesn't need dormancy its first year"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gosh darn it I always do double posts on accident....
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was an earlier thread where I expressed my experience with VFT's in Oceanside/Vista area of Sou Cal. They lived outdoors for 6 years, and the temps never dropped below 65 at all. The plants just kept growing and acting like the plants in the Green Swamp. Without fail, winter rosettes, and slowed down growth, but the plants just kept on living, in spite of all the adverse literature on the subject. VFT's will do whatever they are going to do, and won't even let you in on it. Let the plants have their "heads" and grow the way they want to. As I posted earlier in "December Scapes", in spite of the hard freeze we have had here the last week, the plants are flowering, and growing, as though the freeze never even happened. I just love these strange little plants, and can never have enough of them. But they do not read, and haven't been informed that they require a dormancy.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13 months ago I bought a cobra lily from Lowes and had it kept at a window sill whose temperature got into the low 50's. I was strongly urged to put the plant through dormancy and never really achieved it under the growing conditions I had. The plant survived but didn't thrive and was ultimately lost in a torrential downpour, in an experiment to keep it in a stream so that its roots would have continual water flow. I'll never really know if it was dormant, semi-dormant, stressed out or what. Comments?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darlingtonia are special beasts because of their finicky nature. I have yet to figure out a way to get the to survive long term. I have purchased them in just about every month of the year and done more odd things to them. They always die. So I doubt that your problems were dormancy related, they were just your Darling being a finicky Darling.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That and my odd experiments keep doing them in! I tried putting its replacement under a pvc discharge pipe from the AC unit this summer. Three new pitcher emerged but they were all brown. The plant had been in shock, from having been in that plastic cube so long without having any trace of moisture in it. Its media was like sawdust and the biggest pitcher hit the top of the cube and continued growth in an L-shape. I haven't given up. I feel like Edison [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Mister Edison (JimScott), Remember the secret is water flowing over and through the root freely, without interference. For some reason they like this best, even though there are others who have also found suitable ways to grow Cobra's that are apart from the norm. I suggest any interested contact Jeff Dallas in Portland, Oregon, and Dean Cook In Eugene, and ask them to relate their experiences. They are two of the better Cobra growers, and I suspect PDX is good at it too, though I don't know for sure. But, being close to Dean has many advantages, like learning some new growing techniques for PDX. If there is no water flow, then the cool root, water through it several times a day, may produce a healthy crop of Cobra pitchers.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Steve! I'll be receiving seeds some time next week. Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! Germinate the seed and experiment.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast