Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New member with a question

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all seriousness, what is the known history of this plant? When was she purchased? Where was she kept? What water was provided? What was her lighting? It might be in need of a dormancy or revival before a dormancy. This will help us give appropraiate guidance. BTW, I named my first successful VFT - Rachel - my daughter.

Oh, a small caveat about Mr. Rice: He has a delightful, sarcastic sense of humor - not unlike mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE]In all seriousness, what is the known history of this plant? When was she purchased? Where was she kept? What water was provided? What was her lighting? It might be in need of a dormancy or revival before a dormancy. This will help us give appropraiate guidance. BTW, I named my first successful VFT - Rachel - my daughter.
    He got it from a friend about a month ago, don't know where she got it from... I believe he kept her in the window in his living room so had sun-light(well what sunlight there is in washington, tap water..
    and now that I know I won't give her that.. hehe
    There is too much blood in my caffine system!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay... one thing stands out - tap water. Unless the tap water is incredibly free of salts, this plant has been in the process of being poisoned. I would also venture to guess that she probably is in sore need of dormancy. Was she kept enclosed or exposed to the air?. VFT's need to be exposed to the air.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what exactly should I do for her now??
    I don't want her to die!!
    There is too much blood in my caffine system!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the moment, I would have her pot be placed in a another container (plastic or glass), filled with distilled water. Am old fish bowl or well-cleaned out pickle jar or pretzel container will do. That's how I started out. I would have the set up be placed at a south-facing window sill. The idea in mind right now is to get her into a stable, safe environment, to nurse her back to health, before we worry about dormancy. Does the verbal description make sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sense at all, Jim!!! But, I am after all, a man without a sense of humor.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx Bugweed! Methinks your humor an mine are pretty similar. Not to mention BobZ, Mr. Rice, and all those other Steves. Did ya catch my post about reading my brand spanking new copy of Savage Garden to my plants, as a tribute to you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Jim, If they learned anything, maybe they will start acting according to the books. They'd be easier to raise if they would just read the books!!!!! Educate your plants!! NO PLANT LEFT BEHIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast