What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member with a question

Hello, everyone! I'm really glad to be a new member on this forum and look forward to learning lots from you all. I'm fairly new to CPs, but it is a growing addiction!!

I have a question: I have a 4" pot with 2 D. spatulata and 2 Typical Form Flytraps (very small). This pot is currently in a small terrarium, but I know it's time for the Flytraps to go into dormancy. Am I better off repotting the D. spatulata in order to take the Flytraps out of the terrarium for dormancy?

Thanks in advance.

PS - I don't know why the local nursery put these plants in the same pot. They have to know the Flytraps need dormancy and the D. spatulata does not.

Yes, it would be best to repot them seperatley and give the VFT's the proper dormancy required. As for the nursery, most nurseries (except for the carnivorous plant nurseries!) don't know anything about the care of carnivorous plants and most VFTs dont last long enough under their care to make until dormancy time comes!
smile.gif

Welcome to the forums, jaxon.
How long have you had your plants? If you've only just gotten them, it is ok to forgoe dormancy for this year, but you still might want to consider repotting the spats. They like more humidity than flytraps. Where do you live? If you live in the southeast US, you can grow the flytraps on the windowsill(there are other places that you can grow flytraps on the windowsill, but I don't know much about them cause I only live in one place, westearn NC LOL). Ask around, I'm sure someone lives near your location.

Dont worry too much about the humidity, repot the spatulatas in a seperate pot and put them in a tray full of rainwater, this will provide enough humidity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jaxon @ Dec. 13 2004,7:34)]I'm fairly new to CPs, but it is a growing addiction!!

"A growing addiction" Was this an intentional pun? If not, congratulations anyway - it's excellent!!!!

Welcome to the forums Jaxon.

Even though VFTs do need dormancy, they can still do well as long as conditions are slightly cooler than summer (in my greenhouse, the tems are 60 at night and 90 in the day in summer, in winter, it's 50-55 at night, and 80-85 during the day). You can still grow them on a windowsill as long as the photoperiod is shorter. Cooler temps are appreciated, but as long as it's a little cooler than summer, dormancy should come on it's own.

I had a VFT growing on my windowsill for 2 years before i put it in my greenhouse, and dormancy came and went on it's own with no damage.

I'm not surprised at the ignorance of the nursery.. as SP said, most places don't know half of crap about CPs, which is why my whole collection is made up of plants I've rescued from Target, WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

I would say definitely repot the spat and put the VFT into dormancy.

Welcome, to the forums, dude.. Embrace the Insanity!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Embrace the Insanity!

Already has.... he went out and bought a flytrap, one of those plants that the general public says will die no matter what(actaully they're right.... but if grown right it might just be awhile before it dies
smile_m_32.gif
) But then again, we're not the general public are we?

Nope.

I am also new to growing Dionaea.. It is probably just going through it's winter cycle but just to make sure I need to ask...
My ex-hubby gave me it for x-mas, (hehe) he said it was dying and on it's last leg, but it looks pretty healthy to me. It doesn't have any traps at all, just leaves.. Is this normal??
Thanks in advance for all the help!!
Worried about my newly aquired baby...

Hey! You have an ex, AND a flytrap??

WOO-HOO! I'm not alone!!!

Anyhoo. It's kinda slow 'round here. What kind of setup do you have it in?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lady_boadicea2001 @ Dec. 30 2004,9:06)]It doesn't have any traps at all, just leaves.. Is this normal??
No, it is not normal, but if it has green leaves that is a good sign. It may simply need more light. If you are new to growing VFTs, a good source of information is
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2000.html

Bob, ya sent her to Barry Rice? I hope she doesn't find that wonderful piece about ingesting dead skin cells! Oh grosso meo!

Oh yeah... welcome to the forums! We are an interesting lot, here. I'm sure if your VFT doesn't pull through, there are several of us who would be happy tp send you a bunch more!

LOL.. ya'll are funny.. I don't think it will gross me out, not since watching a movie about how our stomachs digest our food and seeing slides of multiple flesh eating diseases...

No I have never owned one in my life, a VFT, that is. right now it is in the window being cool and it is in a little pot... hehe would love more though so if anyone wants to get rid of some then I am your gal!!
She looks nice and green, no brown spots or droopy leaves, just no pods at all (yes it is a she and yes she has a name..
smile.gif
_)
So any help or advice is much appriciated!!
Will go now to check that site out!
B

I have read everything on VFT that is on that link.. kewl stuff by the way!! But didn't say anything on why it wouldn't have pods.. hmmmmmm

In all seriousness, what is the known history of this plant? When was she purchased? Where was she kept? What water was provided? What was her lighting? It might be in need of a dormancy or revival before a dormancy. This will help us give appropraiate guidance. BTW, I named my first successful VFT - Rachel - my daughter.

Oh, a small caveat about Mr. Rice: He has a delightful, sarcastic sense of humor - not unlike mine.

In all seriousness, what is the known history of this plant? When was she purchased? Where was she kept? What water was provided? What was her lighting? It might be in need of a dormancy or revival before a dormancy. This will help us give appropraiate guidance. BTW, I named my first successful VFT - Rachel - my daughter.
He got it from a friend about a month ago, don't know where she got it from... I believe he kept her in the window in his living room so had sun-light(well what sunlight there is in washington, tap water..
and now that I know I won't give her that.. hehe

Okay... one thing stands out - tap water. Unless the tap water is incredibly free of salts, this plant has been in the process of being poisoned. I would also venture to guess that she probably is in sore need of dormancy. Was she kept enclosed or exposed to the air?. VFT's need to be exposed to the air.

So what exactly should I do for her now??
I don't want her to die!!

Back