Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New member with a question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hello, everyone! I'm really glad to be a new member on this forum and look forward to learning lots from you all. I'm fairly new to CPs, but it is a growing addiction!!

I have a question: I have a 4" pot with 2 D. spatulata and 2 Typical Form Flytraps (very small). This pot is currently in a small terrarium, but I know it's time for the Flytraps to go into dormancy. Am I better off repotting the D. spatulata in order to take the Flytraps out of the terrarium for dormancy?

Thanks in advance.

PS - I don't know why the local nursery put these plants in the same pot. They have to know the Flytraps need dormancy and the D. spatulata does not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it would be best to repot them seperatley and give the VFT's the proper dormancy required. As for the nursery, most nurseries (except for the carnivorous plant nurseries!) don't know anything about the care of carnivorous plants and most VFTs dont last long enough under their care to make until dormancy time comes! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums, jaxon.
    How long have you had your plants? If you've only just gotten them, it is ok to forgoe dormancy for this year, but you still might want to consider repotting the spats. They like more humidity than flytraps. Where do you live? If you live in the southeast US, you can grow the flytraps on the windowsill(there are other places that you can grow flytraps on the windowsill, but I don't know much about them cause I only live in one place, westearn NC LOL). Ask around, I'm sure someone lives near your location.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont worry too much about the humidity, repot the spatulatas in a seperate pot and put them in a tray full of rainwater, this will provide enough humidity.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said, Starman!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jaxon @ Dec. 13 2004,7:34)]I'm fairly new to CPs, but it is a growing addiction!!
    "A growing addiction" Was this an intentional pun? If not, congratulations anyway - it's excellent!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums Jaxon.

Even though VFTs do need dormancy, they can still do well as long as conditions are slightly cooler than summer (in my greenhouse, the tems are 60 at night and 90 in the day in summer, in winter, it's 50-55 at night, and 80-85 during the day). You can still grow them on a windowsill as long as the photoperiod is shorter. Cooler temps are appreciated, but as long as it's a little cooler than summer, dormancy should come on it's own.

I had a VFT growing on my windowsill for 2 years before i put it in my greenhouse, and dormancy came and went on it's own with no damage.
    You have just recieved the Amish Computer Virus. Since the Amish don't have computers, it is based on the honor system. So please delete all the files from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation.

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not surprised at the ignorance of the nursery.. as SP said, most places don't know half of crap about CPs, which is why my whole collection is made up of plants I've rescued from Target, WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

I would say definitely repot the spat and put the VFT into dormancy.

Welcome, to the forums, dude.. Embrace the Insanity!
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast