Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In preparation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Dec. 16 2004,2:22)]what are wild VFT's in the Carolinas doing in mid december?
    are they all on a warm windowsill growing under floresent lights?
    True,

Of course how many of them came from a nursery? Unless you get one from the wild (NOOOOO... DON'T DO IT) The plant will most likely come from a TC lab. This plant will need time to adjust from the environment it live in prior to recept. Was it in the Carolinals? Nope it was in the tissue culture lab under florescent lights. In April the plant will be able to go outside indefinately. But it's just alot of wasted time from now to then. Besides I have plants I kept dormant during the summer so I could watch them grow inside during the winter. Everyone has there preferences.
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scot, I have been reading a lot of posts on this matter for a couple weeks now. You seem to have an opinion that it is an instant death sentence for a VFT to miss a dormancy. Everything I have read from other growers and various books suggests that this is simply not the case. Dormancy is nothing more than a rest period, just like you and I go to sleep every night, a VFT also needs to sleep. But if you should be forced to stay awake for 1 night, does it kill you? You are probably going to be sluggish and not up to 100% mentaly and physicly the next day, but you will live through the experience just fine. These plants are exactly the same. Sure you can miss a dormancy, especially if the plant is unaware that it is supposed to be dormant at that time. You can force a plant to remain in active cycle for the entire winter. It may not be as lush or grow as large of traps as it would have had it had dormancy, but it will live, go dormant the following winter and go right on as if nothing happened.

Hybrat_Kaizer... If you live in NC it should be a simple matter for you to just put your plant outside and leave it be... If it is in growth cycle now it will sync up to dormancy in a couple weeks and in the spring it will resume its natural growth just as if it had been grown in your yard from seed. VFTs are much more resilient than most people give them credit for.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HK

I'll do one better if you get one soon and lose it I'll replace it. I'LL take care of S&H AS WELL. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Dec. 16 2004,9:38)]Scot, I have been reading a lot of posts on this matter for a couple weeks now. You seem to have an opinion that it is an instant death sentence for a VFT to miss a dormancy.
    I never said that..
    all im saying is WHY do it if you know its not good for the plant?
    if you have two choices, dormancy or no dormancy.
    and you know dormancy is better, and natural.
    why choose the worse option on purpose?
    why risk your plants life when you dont have to??
    people are doing it on purpose, for no other reason than "I want to"..
    to me, thats a bad reason.
    you should do what is best for the plant, not what is best for you.

I also grow Bonsai.
    They are native trees..
    maples, oaks, elms, pines.
    they MUST be outdoors all winter!
    they drop their leaves just like all the "wild" trees..
    they are not genetically any different than all the other trees, and their required conditions are identical..
    its the same with CPs..
    yes, you *can* grow them indoors, but it stresses them, its not natural, they do worse, they are much more likely to die..
    all im saying is, why do it if you dont have to?

and TC makes no difference..they are still genetically VFT's..
    the need for dormancy isnt bred out of them.
    saying TC VFT's somehow have different requirements is like saying a tiger born in a zoo doesent need to eat meat.

yes yes yes, I agree you CAN skip a dormancy for maybe one year. or the first year.
    but even then its still an unnecessary risk.
    there are "ok" ways to grow CPs, and then there are the BEST ways..

an "ok" way to grow a VFT is to buy it in December, put it in a terrarium or windowsill under florescent light, force it to grow all winter and into the following year, then by the following December say "help! its December and my plant is still indoors, does it need dormancy? what should I do?"

or..the BEST way is to buy new VFT's in the Spring, put them outdoors, let them grow outdoors all summer getting a ton of natural direct sunlight, let them catch all the bugs they want, let them start to go dormant naturally in the Autumn (while you do nothing but continue to give them water) then let them happily sleep away the winter, then come out of dormancy naturally and slowly as spring slowly arrives..then the cycle repeats..

which way makes healthier plants?
    no contest...

im not saying you CANT grow VFTS indoors in the winter..
    im just saying its a bad idea if you have a better alternative.

Scot

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]and TC makes no difference..they are still genetically VFT's..
    the need for dormancy isnt bred out of them.
    saying TC VFT's somehow have different requirements is like saying a tiger born in a zoo doesent need to eat meat.
    OK well now we are talking about 2 different things. Nobody is saying that TC plants dont need dormancy or that they wont benefit from dormancy. But to take my analagy of sleep another step further, if you are born at 10 pm, would you know that you are supposed to be asleep at night? Same thing for TC plants.. if they are "born" in December would they know that its time for dormancy? Just like that baby person will stay up all night, sleep when hes ready and go right on with life, so will that TC VFT.

Quote[/b] ]an "ok" way to grow a VFT is to buy it in December, put it in a terrarium or windowsill under florescent light, force it to grow all winter and into the following year, then by the following December say "help! its December and my plant is still indoors, does it need dormancy? what should I do?"
    OR, IMO a perfectly acceptable way to go would be, buy a TC plant in December, put it under growlights and enjoy it all winter, move it outdoors in the spring and then let nature take care of giving it dormancy in the fall just like its supposed to.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! I never thought I'd get this many reply! You don't know how much all your info helped. Just if you wondering, I'm prolly going to look around at as many places I can just to make sure I'm getting one that is healthy, buy and read 'The Savage Garden' and then pick one up around mid-March, just to be safe. Who knows, in a few years I may have a collection to rival all of yours. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it! Hope to see you around.
    ~*~ Lean - Mean - Green ~*~

Toad Fan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...imate_toad.bmp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Hybrat_Kaizer @ Dec. 16 2004,2:25)]Thanks guys! I never thought I'd get this many reply! You don't know how much all your info helped.
    Hybrat,
    If you hang around here, you will find out that this is a very helpful and generous group. We are happy when someone new becomes addicted to growing CPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Hybrat_Kaizer @ Dec. 16 2004,11:25)]Who knows, in a few years I may have a collection to rival all of yours. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    every great collection began with one plant! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast