Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dormancy by the windowsill?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scotty, Perhaps the word dormancy is the problem. All I can say is the plants I have growing here in my bog gardens, knock completely out if the temp gets down to freezing (32degreesF). No growth of any kind, very compact rosettes. If we have a mild winter, they continue to grow, albeit very slowly, and this year, late flowering scapes as well. We got hit with a freeze for 3 days, and I thought sure they would sleep. But, no. They are STILL growing. Maybe this slow growing phase is a form of semi-dormancy. We have hard freezes (2 weeks or more) every 3 to 5 years, and the plants stop growth completely. Otherwise, they keep on keeping on, and I do not argue with that. Just adding to our experiences, I guess. I get your point Scot, but try to see what I am saying. Full dormancy may not be absolutely necessary.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pitcher is worth a thousand words and a flytrap two thousand
    DORMANT VFT (from the CP FAQ)
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Dec. 22 2004,3:56)]I get your point Scot, but try to see what I am saying. Full dormancy may not be absolutely necessary.
    I TOTALLY agree with that! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    but thats FULL dormancy..not NO dormancy..
    big difference.
    there are plently of people who want to attempt NO dormancy..
    and they are getting the impression that everyone thinks thats perfectly fine..
    what you describe for your plants might not be "full" dormancy..
    but its cool temps and less light..
    it could at least be considered "partial dormancy"..
    and thats still a huge difference from 75 degrees on the windowsill or in the terrarium all winter.
    all Im asking for is:

"at a minimum, cooler temps and less light should be provided in the winter..it is not advisable to skip dormancy completely and continue to provide summer-like conditions all winter."

"can skip a year" could be interpretated as "can skip a year!"

ok, enough of my rambling..we all have heard enough from me.
    please just dont say "its ok to skip a year" without also saying "but you probably shoudnt skip a year, and here is why..."

thanks,
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I just got my VFT's in July and I'm trying to skip dormancy this year in my terrarium and figured a way to get VFT's to grow year round in a terrarium.
    By taking divisions off a main plant, you can keep growing VFT's year round. Maybe not huge plants, but just to have something to look at year round instead of a bare empty VFT terrarium.
    The main plant you can put in dormancy by a windowsill or garage.

This is a example of indoor -vs- outdoor VFT effect on Long Island:
    I got two Dente VFT's from Franks in July and let one grow outside in my minibog next to my Sarcanias and one grew inside my terrarium under a 65watt Compact Flourescent. The Fluorex one with 6500k spectrum. I placed the outdoor one on my windowsill and it's in somewhat of a slow growing dormant state. The indoor one thinks it's summer still and just sprouted two huge vertical trap growths. Also look at the color difference.

Windowsill:
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/lesliex317537/04-12-22%20VFT%20Windowsill.JPG[/img]

Terrarium: The bottom middle one. Diagonally above it is it's division I took.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/lesliex317537/04-12-22%20VFTs%20Terrarium.JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see the pic.

I hate this work computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well hell. I have a few minutes. Here's what's happening with mine:

I placed the terrarium in the area I mentioned in the back of the house in the door. I'm able to maintain 70% humidity and a daytime temp of 70 deg with a night time temp around 35-45 degrees. I was mainly worried about the humidity because I'm in Denver (If I took out my sensor, it would drop from 70% to 20% in about two minutes).

The plants are darkening. not growing like they did. It's been a mild winter thusfar.

If anyone could please post a VFT in it's dormancy, I could compare to mine and see if it's OK.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (RandallFlagg @ Dec. 29 2004,5:26)]If anyone could please post a VFT in it's dormancy, I could compare to mine and see if it's OK.
    VFTs in winter dormancy are not very exciting. They look, well, ummmm, dormant.
    Below is a dormant 'Red Dragon'

And, a dormant 'Jaws'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOHH! So they ARE supposed to look like they're dying? OK.

I promise to put pics up after these next days off (if I can get my Wife off the 'puter for a second or two!!!)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast