What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do traps close during dormancy?

How's everyone doing today?
This is my first post on this site. I'm glad I'm interacting with such CP enthusiasts.
smile.gif

I recieved a VFT for Christmas and since its quite cold thesedays, (im from Maryland), I decided to leave it outside to bring about dormancy. Soon after being in the cold tempretures, I realized that the traps closed. My VFT has 2 mature traps.

I assume this closing of traps is so that the plant reduces its surface area, or is it something that I'm doing wrong?
I'd appreciate any responses.

Thanks in advances,
ph

The traps on my VFTs do not close in winter (unless triggered) even though the temperature reaches freezing. To be sure, winter in northern California is much less severe than in Maryland.

If you received your plant 3 days ago and put it outside, you may have a problem. The plant was probably growing inside where it was warm. VFTs slowly prepare for winter dormancy over several weeks (or months). If it is suddenly taken from a warm cozy place to a cold one, particularly below freezing, it may simply be killed rather than go dormant.

Remember, do not make sudden changes in environment for your plants. They need a period of gradual change to adjust to the new conditions.

I wouldn't expect it to go dormant so soon. Bob z's right though. The fridge meathod may work better for you since it's only one flytrap, and you have harsh winters. If you dont want to put it in the fridge you can use a garage or shed. Artic winds are usually more of a threat than the Temp. Or better yet if you just got it you could probably forego dormancy this year and grow it under a floresecent light. Get better aquainted with the cultivation aspect, and then alow for a dormancy.

I find the traps on mine close too when it gets really cold.

Traps can, and sometimes do close during dormancy, as long as there is still growth. The plants are inevitably slower in movement though.

Back