Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the odds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I have a tray of VFT seedlings and I grow them all to maturity, what are the odds of having a unique plant that is fit to be registered as a cultivar?

I wanna know about drosera and sarrs too.

thanks
    alex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bunp [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odds are best if your dealing with genera that contain different species with unique characteristics that you can mix and match for something truelly different.. Even then you would need to grow quite a few seedlings to come up with an all around winner.
    T
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are location seeds not TC you will have a better chance. TC Vfts hybridized will not produce the array of plants as location would

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is about 100 seedlings [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are seeds from typical forms of the species odds are very very slim that something new and unusual will pop up.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Jan. 02 2005,6:59)]If I have a tray of VFT seedlings and I grow them all to maturity, what are the odds of having a unique plant that is fit to be registered as a cultivar?

I wanna know about drosera and sarrs too.

thanks
    alex
    Alex,
    If your VFT plants are seed grown, they will naturally be unique genetic individuals. If any or all of them appear to YOU, to be distinctive enough that you could write a description of their unique qualities (not required to be qualities visible to the human eye), then hypothetically, each could be registered as cultivated varieties. Of course, they must be propagated first (cultivated varieties are not individual plants) and each propagule must maintain the unique cultivated varieties characteristics.

There are no esthetic or other limitations as to what constitutes a valid cultivated variety, that judgement is up to each individual registrant. In other words, its "fitness" to qualify for cultivar status is up to you to decide.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, thanks! Its gonna be fun with 100+ VFT's! I'll probably will be able to give them away in the summer when they are of a managable size [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast