What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the odds?

If I have a tray of VFT seedlings and I grow them all to maturity, what are the odds of having a unique plant that is fit to be registered as a cultivar?

I wanna know about drosera and sarrs too.

thanks
alex

bunp
smile.gif

Odds are best if your dealing with genera that contain different species with unique characteristics that you can mix and match for something truelly different.. Even then you would need to grow quite a few seedlings to come up with an all around winner.
T

If they are location seeds not TC you will have a better chance. TC Vfts hybridized will not produce the array of plants as location would

If they are seeds from typical forms of the species odds are very very slim that something new and unusual will pop up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SunPitcher @ Jan. 02 2005,6:59)]If I have a tray of VFT seedlings and I grow them all to maturity, what are the odds of having a unique plant that is fit to be registered as a cultivar?

I wanna know about drosera and sarrs too.

thanks
alex
Alex,
If your VFT plants are seed grown, they will naturally be unique genetic individuals. If any or all of them appear to YOU, to be distinctive enough that you could write a description of their unique qualities (not required to be qualities visible to the human eye), then hypothetically, each could be registered as cultivated varieties. Of course, they must be propagated first (cultivated varieties are not individual plants) and each propagule must maintain the unique cultivated varieties characteristics.

There are no esthetic or other limitations as to what constitutes a valid cultivated variety, that judgement is up to each individual registrant. In other words, its "fitness" to qualify for cultivar status is up to you to decide.

ok, thanks! Its gonna be fun with 100+ VFT's! I'll probably will be able to give them away in the summer when they are of a managable size
smile.gif

I think it'll be very slim. The best chances are when you cross unique vfts with others. Even then out of several hundred seedlings only a couple will might be uniqe. If they are self pollinated or from a population of typical vfts then the chances aren't too good.

I am already seeing quite a variation among the cotyloden:)

Back