What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter rosettes at last!

First I had to complain about the kids staying up this winter. So they took pity on me and formed winter rosettes, and I thought, OK, they should snooze now, right? Well, they should. But of course, my uncooperative babies instead put up flowers again. I have never seen this in all my growing experience. I keep explaining to them that Scottychaos is gonna be mad because they refuse to do the dormancy thing. I don't know why either. But, since they have VFT minds of their own, what can I do. I don't want to be a bad parent and destroy their creativity, but this could be confusing to some growers. Not that I blame them. It is making me wonder too. However, if you want to drop my VFT's a line, and encourage them to follow the rules, I will read them each and every one of them. LOL Have a good day.

LOL, I'm sure ScottyChaos would be very mad
smile.gif
Shame on your plants, tell them to sleep already!
Do they still grow like others in the summer year after year of this? Any difference?

Peter, this is the first year I have ever seen this. I have had no dormancys in winter, to semi dormancys, to all out, full blown dormancy, but never have I ever had them go into winter rosette, and flower in winter, and continue to grow like Old Man Winter wasn't even there. Confusing? Yup! But, I have seen so many strange things with CP over these many years, that I accept it, even if I don't understand it.

And down here in Southern California my plants are fast asleep with no flower scapes.
smile_n_32.gif

Kirk, You know that, I know that, but they are partying, and I can't stop them. If Scotty gets wind of this, he will probably yell at them, and there goes their self esteem. What to do! LOL!!!!!

I've got some books you could read to them. How about War & Peace? They may not get through the whole thing, but they should be able to get through war. Or.... any William Faulkner novel, like Intruder in the Dust.

yeck i got mine vft out of dormancy after bout 2 1/2 months bout 2 weeks ago and i think mine is putting up a flower bc it doesnt look like a leaf. what to do should i cut it ? my plant is 2 1/2-3 1/2 inches across. should i cut it? Thanks

Brad

If the plant looks healthy, and you want seed, let it flower.

Have you tried lullabyes? "Rock-a-bye...and good nite..."

Warm milk? Ticking clock? Rub their backs...err...leaves?

Leave it to you Buggie to have some wierd anomaly. Just goes to show ...you can read all the CP books in the world...but the plants have a mind of their own and don't give a whit about "the rules".
biggrin.gif

Don't worry Bug I have some 'Ladies in waiting' who were apparently tired of waiting for spring. I now have two flower stalks to contend with.
smile.gif
If this trend continues I'll have to regestar them as 'impatient ladies'
smile_n_32.gif

Hello i ordered my two green dragons i think they are waking from dormancy. They are the coolest rossets the are kind of spiral.

Back