Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vft cuttings

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple months ago I received a few VFT cuttings in a trade. All but one of them turned black and fungused up. But today I noticed a leaf / trap emerging from the media. I told myself that this wasn't exactly the best time of year to do this, but the opportunity was there, so...

Any others doing VFT leaf cuttings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 'red pirahna' cutting from Kirk I`m trying to root.
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, there may be an optimum time to propagate various plants, physiologically, but, despite what many people say, anytime it can be accomplished successfully is the right time to propagate plants, CP included.

If you have only one plant of any given clone and you don't propagate it. If you then lose it, you shouldn't count on that clone being continued in its existence in someone else's collection. Sure it is nice if that happens. It has happened to me.

For quite some time now I have been in the habit of propagating every new clone I receive as soon as there is material enough to perform a satisfactory propagation, this can usually be done immediately. Once those propagules are well established, I take propagations from them, and so on, and so forth. Before I know it, I have quite sizeable populations of the various clones in my collection.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Jan. 05 2005,6:08)]I have a 'red pirahna' cutting from Kirk I`m trying to root.
    Same source.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] You didn`t happen to get a purp x oreophilla to right?
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Any others doing VFT leaf cuttings?
    Yeah, I took some leaf cuttings about a month and a half ago.
    I noticed about 8 little plantlets coming off of them. This is my first try. Yippee!!!
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Jan. 05 2005,6:35)]Sure, there may be an optimum time to propagate various plants, physiologically, but, despite what many people say, anytime it can be accomplished successfully is the right time to propagate plants, CP included.

If you have only one plant of any given clone and you don't propagate it. If you then lose it, you shouldn't count on that clone being continued in its existence in someone else's collection. Sure it is nice if that happens. It has happened to me.

For quite some time now I have been in the habit of propagating every new clone I receive as soon as there is material enough to perform a satisfactory propagation, this can usually be done immediately. Once those propagules are well established, I take propagations from them, and so on, and so forth. Before I know it, I have quite sizeable populations of the various clones in my collection.
    I like your approach, not to mention your lighting and space and...
    *green with newbiness and envy*