User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When do you all plan to break out your beasts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JimScott, wash the blear out of the traps, and put'em out!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really, I've noticed days getting a little bit longer, and it looks like some of my sarracenia have too! Just seeing a little bit of slow growth and, heck, I'm not gonna stop em [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RandallFlagg.. a 3 month or so long dormancy is "recommended" but by no means is that the "Be all end all cast in stone, break it and get instant death" rule. If you take your plant out right now, it will probably grow just fine this season and then go to sleep in the fall just like its supposed to. Far too much emphasis is placed on this whole "right" way to do dormancy thing.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]JimScott, You are too gentle with your plants! I am slappng mine awake, as soon as possible, booting them into their growing area, then threatening them to put out leaves! Let'em know whose Boss!
    LMAO.. good one Bugweed [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I am separating and repotting my VFTs now. Although the plants appear to be dormant, I notice that many are actively initiating new roots -- a sign that dormancy is already about to end in this mild coastal northern California climate.
    I am dividing and repotting mine now also. Its amazing just how many plants you can get out of a good hearty clump of VFTs... One of my Green Dragons I divided into 14 different plants plus 4 leaf cuttings.

I see my D. filliformis is starting to show signs of green on the hibernacula so I believe its just about ready to wake up from its slumber, last year my VFT's werent too far behind that. Guess they didnt wanna be late for breakfast.
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah!! The next few months are gonna be great! Growing points expanding, Hibernacula starting to "pop", Babies everywhere! Grab your magnifiers, and start watching things wake up! Ah! California growin'!!!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My heart shall be happy on valentines day! Not just cause I got a date this year either [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my venus fly traps have already started growing again after bout 2 1/2 months of dormancy.
    thanks for you imput

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, I live in Puyallup, WA. I keep a good portion of my flytraps outdoors and let them come out of dormancy on their own. However, I usually bring a pot of them in around Valintie's Day.

You probably won't see better performance by bringing them in early, you will just get to enjoy their active growth for a longer period of time. As for the black, dead traps, I usually cut them off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine stay in the fridge from Halloween to Valentines day.
    3 and 1/2 months..
    I only bring them out in mid-February because that is over 3 months,
    and is long enough for dormancy.
    but winter is far from over in mid-February!
    it still has 2 solid months to go..
    so my plants sit in front of a sliding glass door for a few months until its warm enough to go back outdoors for the season, usually sometime in April.
    Scot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast