What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little black beasties

Est

War. War never changes.
Staff member
Hm, of the questions that I've seen asked lately, these haven't come up -to my knowledge-.  They are tiny black specks running around on my VFTs.  As they've just started to pick up again -that's California for ya- and I don't wanna loose these.  I dunno, are they aphids or something??  They don't seem to jump or anything and to the best of my knowledge they spend most of their time on the plants themselves, though, I don't think I'd be able to spot them running on the peat.  I haven't noticed any damage yet, but if there's the possability, I'd sure like to prevent it.  All help is appreciated.

lol... I bet someone will be able to tell what you're talking about with just
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]tiny black specks running around on my VFTs.
but I can't.
LOL....
however I do know some aphids are black. I've seen 'em

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]lol... I bet someone will be able to tell what you're talking about with just

tiny black specks running around on my VFTs.

but I can't.

Well, if there was more to than what I've already describes, I assure you that I would.  But really they're to small to get a good look at.  Even then, they're pretty fast.  All I can really think to add is that they move in a constant motion, that is, they don't dart on way, stop, dart again, etc.  Oh well, still a fresh thread...

there is something more and you already gave it to us. they're fast. aphids ain't fast so they ain't aphids.

ok... are they flat? round? do you see any legs? long? fat? ANYTHING and everythign you can tell us is helpful. are they on top of the leaves? underneath? near the growing point? at the end? how many are there? one or two specs or clusters of them?

Get a magnifying glass. I bet they are mites, but you need the glass to see it. Mites are fast, in constant motion for the most part, and a real pain in the backside. Whether or not they have nasty plans for the VFT, hard to say, yet.

If they are mites, then more than likely they have something nasty planned for your VFT. If it is mites, Orthene works well on them as it is a systemic pesticide and will kill anything feeding on your plants.

Hm, well they're all hiding right now -presumably under the plants where I can't see them-, so I'll check again tonight, maybe they don't like all that light... I got to check one out just briefly though, and the magnifying glass really didn't help much, they're just barely visible when looked at with just the naked eye... Well, I suppose I'll keep an eye on it, and tonight if I can somehow catch one I'll see if I can look at it under my microscope. Well, the good news is that they've probably been there for a while and no visible damage... Maybe I'll put the container outside... Hum, well, I'll let you know when I get more information, thanks for the comments so far though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If they are mites, then more than likely they have something nasty planned for your VFT.
nah... most likely they won't harm your plants. I have tons of mites...

mites are fast? I mean... they're not slow but fast? and fast enough to prevent him form getting a good look at them? I don't think so.

Thrips (the ones I've seen were pretty shifty)?

hey steve, think submerging the plants under water for a day or so would get rid of them, if they are indeed mites?

any time i think i have strange insects living with my plants, i try and drown them before getting more agressive.

tech

Fleas is my bet. Maybe you need to shower more often
smile.gif

I have found that submerging plants can sometimes work on spider mites. Other critters like spring tails tend to float to the surface of the water. I have also used prythrin (not pyrythroid) based insecticides to control aphids and other unwanted critters on my VFTs with good results amd no damage to my VFTs. Just make sure it's not a petroleum based bug spray and test it on a spare plant befor using it on your valuable ones. You will probably have to repeat any treatment you use several times to kill bugs as they hatch from eggs that have already been layed.

Back