What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boy! you turn you backs on these guys for one minute and look what they go and do
smile_m_32.gif
Both my ping and one of my VFT's have decided to flower. The VFT is about 1.5 -2 inches in diameter, and is producing wide leaves with small traps- the flower stalk is now about an inch tall- do you think it would be safe to let it flower? It didn't receive dormancy this year. The ping is what I think is Pinguicula primuliflora that I purchased from Lowe's last month. it was looking pretty poor there for a while, but it is sitting there happily putting out leaves at a prodigious rate. I was wondering it they could be self pollinated, and if so, how someone woud go about doing this. It's flower stalk is currently just a small bud, and the plant itself is slightly smaller than the VFT.

Any help would be appreciated,
ati
smile.gif

That is normal for the P. primuliflora. Mine, which was purchased in August of '03, flowered throughout the winter. You may get a variety of opinions about the VFT, but a plant that would normally be in dormancy right now, is not the best candidate for flowering and surviving. Recommendations: cut the flower off.

Depends, if the plant is in good condition then I wouldn't cut it off but if its a little on the unhealthy side... clip clip! But since the vft you are describing is on the small side then the best option would probably be to cut it off.
I've had a cutting smaller then a centemeter flower sucesfully and survive.

Mine have flowered all winter, and are still flowering, and I have pollinated. The problem with the "weakens the plant" theory is, that the plant never read the theory. Mine are fine, and producing seed. They are still growing at their spring rate, even though the plants have the winter rosette, and smaller traps.

Just popped open a VFT seedcap. PHAT with seed!!!

I agree with Bugweed. Only reason I wouldn't let a VFT flower is if I didn't want seed. I am a nut for seed, so the answer would be "Never".

From your description, "wide petioles and small traps" it sounds like your VFT could use more light.

Concerning Pinguicula pollination, I recommend doing a search in the Pinguicula topic for pollination. Lots of answers there including some illustrations.

Okay thanks, I'm going to go ahead and let it flower.
smile.gif

All input was greatly appreciated,

ati

Back