What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity....

VFTs do produce flowers in the spring. There is much debate about whether to cut them off or not. Some feel allowing it to flower weakens the plant. Others let them bloom. The flowers are not spectacular but you could get seed if you want. I always cut mine off.

You can tell a flower stalk as it usually comes up straight and the the top has a little "clenched" looking ball, instead of the kinda elongated, flat end you see on emerging leaves.

Hope that helps.
smile.gif

There are a couple pics of what a flower stalk looks like here: FAQ page. Like Suzanne said, there is much debate as to letting them flower or not. My personal experience is that my plants tend to grow faster and larger when I do not let them flower.

If you havent yet, I would really suggest that you read ALL of the FAQ pages from the site I just gave you. The answers to most, if not all, beginner-type questions can be found there. I found it to be an invaluable source of information when I first got into this hobby and I strongly recommend it to anyone who is just learning how to take care of VFT's.

Cheers
Steve

And ya gotta love Barry's sense of humor! Then there's that human flesh experiment....
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Well,, after looking at the pics, the stem that was coming out of the middle is actually another trap. hehe yay!

jlui83, I would add that you should make any changes gradually. The leaves on a plant that has been grown under lights and high humidity may not be able to handle a drop in humidity plus getting direct sun. It's comparable to celebrating the first warm day of spring by lying in the sun all day without sunscreen. You get burned bad.

Steve

ok. I will make things more gradual.. Thanks Steve

Hi,
I have a questions about Darlingtonia, Venus Flytrap, sundew and I am want to by
more to extend my collection.I am trying to tackle the humidity issue here in Kansas. It is very high but the sun is bright and hot.
I used to collect them a number of years ago
. I bought some a week ago, I have them in
a little plastic domes they came in. I know it takes they need humidity but I am confused what to
about the lighting. Some people say east or west end not south, or south near window sill
in a terrarium not covered.
What is the best way to care for them this way.I would like to put them all in
a terrarium but I first want to get the lighting right before I put them in a terrairum.
I want them to get some sun and humidity. One place said to
take off the plastic dome and put them into the sun (south side). I am thinking of getting
some artificial light as well.
Any help appreciated. Please also reply to email below if you can . below
I am new to this list and it is great resource.
Dr. Eric Flescher ( dreric1kansas@aol.com),
Olathe, KS. USA

dreric1kansas-

Not trying to be rude or anything but you don't need to post the same message MULTIPLE times in this forum. Just make a new thread with your own topic.

I'm not trying to confuse you, but don't go through one extreme to another; your plants will acclimate to one; only to be shocked with the other. I did that and my VFT'S didn't like it one bit, the leaves burnt brown on the edges and wilted, when I went from humid to not so humid.

VFT'S are very adaptable in the humidiy aspect, but do one or the other and stick with it.

If it were me, I'd leave the top open; that would be PLENTY humid enough; remember, more problems occur with too much humidity; fungus, rot, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

And if you guys still freak out about humidity check out what kind of humidity I've been having here in inland empire Sou Cali. just today and the plants sill are fine:

Normal Normal Normal Hourly
Time Temp. Temp. Humidity Humidity Dewpoint Dewpoint Precip.
12:00 AM 63.7°F 53°F 15% 84% 13°F 48°F 0.00"
1:00 AM 63.6°F 52°F 15% 86% 13°F 48°F 0.00"
2:00 AM 62.7°F 51°F 17% 88% 15°F 47°F 0.00"
3:00 AM 61.7°F 50°F 18% 88% 16°F 47°F 0.00"
4:00 AM 61.6°F 50°F 18% 89% 16°F 46°F 0.00"
5:00 AM 61.8°F 50°F 17% 89% 15°F 47°F 0.00"
6:00 AM 62.2°F 49°F 16% 91% 14°F 46°F 0.00"
7:00 AM 63.7°F 50°F 16% 90% 15°F 47°F 0.00"
8:00 AM 67.8°F 53°F 14% 85% 15°F 48°F 0.00"
9:00 AM 70.5°F 57°F 12% 78% 14°F 50°F 0.00"
10:00 AM 72.6°F 61°F 10% 69% 11°F 50°F 0.00"
11:00 AM 75.0°F 65°F 10% 61% 12°F 50°F 0.00"
12:00 PM 77.1°F 68°F 11% 54% 15°F 50°F 0.00"
1:00 PM 78.2°F 69°F 9% 52% 13°F 50°F 0.00"
2:00 PM 79.8°F 70°F 10% 50% 16°F 50°F 0.00"
3:00 PM 79.3°F 70°F 10% 51% 15°F 50°F 0.00"
4:00 PM 80.2°F 69°F 10% 54% 18°F 51°F 0.00"
5:00 PM 79.8°F 67°F 16% 58% 28°F 51°F 0.00"

Ya that's 18% humidity at night!

Yep, varitations like that won't hurt a bit; but if you go; say a solid month with a constant, and then a solid month with an extreme something else; like what would happen in this case; then that would not be beneficial; at all.

alright, so humidity is NOT an issue with VFTs.. bottom line.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They were down to 3/4" for awhile, but went back up to 1".

I haven't gotten 3/4'' in a long, long time. But they're getting close now that I moved the greenhouse from the patio, where the plants got little sun due to the oak trees' leaves coming in, to the sidewalk behind the North end of the house, where the plants now get full sun all day.

jlui83,

Well, it's kinda an issue; just as not as big of one as you might think, keep a little humidity going on; no magic number, but say between 30 to 60 percent, perhaps? The range is wide, that's what people have to learn.  Usually, the VFT pot sitting in a tray with some water in the tray will keep it in that range. Since they like to be kept damp all the time anyway, the tray method or the aquarium, etc. will let you water less.

The only reason to have an aquarium, in my view, is to keep little hands off of them. Don't do it because you think it needs the humidity. You can have a pretty little Bog garden in an open container.

Yes, Sundews tend to make dew better in an aquarium; but I lend that to the lack of moving air more than the increased humidity factor. I have my Spatulata's in an open tray in a draft free room; and they are nice and sticky!

OK gotcha. Everything seems to be running smoothly here. I should be taking and posting pictures by next week. Just been stumped with a lot of stuff lately.

jlui83,

Remember, unless you are growing your VFT outdoors and in the Summer, don't keep the medium they are growing in soggy all the time; let them get to cool damp before replentishing the evaporated water in the tray. This helps keep the crowns from rotting and aerates the medium.

I think this is very important.

I see.. I'll keep that in mind. Actually I dont have a water tray b/c the plants are inside an aquarium tank.... So I just water them every couple of days. Today I just watered them a lot, so I am trying to see how long it will take for the soil to become dry(not to dry) so I can water again.

Back