Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Humidity....

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It IS normal, if it is an old trap and its number was up. Other reasons would be that if it ate something too large or something it didn't agree with. As stated earlier, mine died prematurely because it was covered. Between the lack of air circulation and probable "greenhouse effect" - it was suffering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. I guess since these VFTs are my first ones I am babying them way to much. But thats ok. hehe..Ill just make sure BRIGHT Lights (or sunlight) and good water. Thanks Jimscott for all your help. hehe seems like you've been answering all my questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you have new traps growing from the center you're usually good.
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of which. I will try to take a picture of the ones I have right now... One of them have only 4 traps (1 just turned black, so I cut it off) so down to 3 traps..(is this a low amount?) but in the center of it something is growing out of it.. could it be the flower stalk? Like I said I will take a picture of it.. and on the other plant there are about 8-9 traps.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFTs do produce flowers in the spring. There is much debate about whether to cut them off or not. Some feel allowing it to flower weakens the plant. Others let them bloom. The flowers are not spectacular but you could get seed if you want. I always cut mine off.

You can tell a flower stalk as it usually comes up straight and the the top has a little "clenched" looking ball, instead of the kinda elongated, flat end you see on emerging leaves.

Hope that helps. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple pics of what a flower stalk looks like here: FAQ page. Like Suzanne said, there is much debate as to letting them flower or not. My personal experience is that my plants tend to grow faster and larger when I do not let them flower.

If you havent yet, I would really suggest that you read ALL of the FAQ pages from the site I just gave you. The answers to most, if not all, beginner-type questions can be found there. I found it to be an invaluable source of information when I first got into this hobby and I strongly recommend it to anyone who is just learning how to take care of VFT's.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And ya gotta love Barry's sense of humor! Then there's that human flesh experiment.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well,, after looking at the pics, the stem that was coming out of the middle is actually another trap. hehe yay!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast