Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of going long fibered sphagnum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks G.S.,
    I would love a 'big mouth'!
    never had one of those..I will trade you something else for one! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

yes, the bog is one of those plastic pre-formed ponds, meant to go in the ground..
    this is about the smallest size I have ever seen,
    its 22" long X 17" wide X 5" deep.

contains about 40 VFT's (all typical)
    one S. wrigleyana
    and two S. leucophylla 'titan'

I didnt put holes in the very bottom, I drilled holes about half way up the side, in the back..
    so standing water is always in the bottom, to keep things swampy, and when I fill it with water I just dump on water until it drains out the holes.
    has worked well so far.
    I cant tell when the water level gets low, but I fill it often enough thet im not worried about it ever drying out.
    and when it rains, the drainage holes prevent the bog from OVER filling all the way to the top..
    its basically always 50% full, or slightly less than that as water evaporates.

when I have it out on the balcony for the season, I have wood cedar strips that I place around the outside, just for looks..
    I just bought some cheap cedar "shelf liner" from Home Depot and cut it up into strips of the right height.

(I thought I had a picture of that..but cant find it right now..
    I might have it on a CD at work..)

scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, Scott

They claim 5cm traps when fully matured. These are 2 years old; probably out of vitro though, so probably the same as a 3 to 3 1/2 maturity. They are sent bare root, so will give them time to acclimate, and will send you one potted.

Quick question; do you have to 'flush' out or flood your mini bog periodically so it won't 'sour' or is that something you don't have to worry about because of the medium? Or maybe you water it so that some of the stagnant water drains out the holes, keeping it fresh; I don't know.

p.m. me with your mailing address; note that it will take about 6 to 8 weeks for the plant to be stable enough to ship. I bought them from a reputable source. I took the last 5 they had as I missed out last year. They are from Cook's.

I buy all my plants here, but this is one variety they don't carry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boiling water instantly wets the moss and has the advantage of kiling any alge, bacteria, fungi in the moss (expecially if you have a large bale that seemed to get wet at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thanks Treaqum.

I'm gonna check home depot tomorrow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to grind it up in a blender, and mix it with peat and sand. I mix it 2:1:1 lfs/peat/sand. It seems to work pretty well for me. I would like to try planting something in pure lfs too though. Good luck!
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12