What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cool vft's flowering!

I was wondering if these following vfts pass on their characteristics-
D. Cup Trap
D. Fused Tooth
D. Long Red Finger
D. Sawtooth
D. Crested

The reason I ask is because some of them are t/c mutations, so does that mean that the next generation will have the same characteristics or will they be typicals?
Are the crested, and sawtooth t/c mutations?

If anyone was interested here is a list of my vfts that should flower this season-
D. Typicals
D. All Green
D. Arching Flat Skinny Leaves
D. Big Jaws F2
D. Big Jaws x Dente
D. Burbanks Best
D. Carolina Red Trap
D. Creeping Death
D. Crested
D. Dente
D. Dingley Red/Purple
D. Fang
D. Fused Tooth
D. Giant from Best Cp's
D. Giant Summer Upright, AKA Huge Fall Rossette
D. Giant Red Rosette AKA Big Jaws
D. Giant Rosette AKA Red Purple
D. Giant upright AKA Burgendy Trap
D. Green Dragon
D. Hennings Giant
D. Jaws
D. Long Red Finger
D. Mixed giants from Best Cp's, one has upright growth and the other is a rossette type
D. Pink Venus
D. Prostrate
D. Red Dragon
D. Red Piranha
D. Royal Red
D. Saw Tooth
D. Shark Tooth
D. Wide Leaves Big traps Upright

What do you guys think would be good crosses to make?
I was thinking of making a more robust red piranha type plant. Or maybe an all red creeping death? Any suggestions are welcome!

I think crossing some of your reds together and your giants together would be cool. What'll you do with all the seed?(shameless plug).

Most likely I will have some extras since my growing space is limited, so you never know. I might be giving some of them away this season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Mar. 25 2005,11:26)]dude! where do you get all yur VFTs? thats crazy!
HA! That's what I was thinking.

I was thinking you ought to cross the big traps with big traps and see if you can much bigger.

Cup trap with fused tooth could be COOOL!

would cup x fused be able to close?

Does it matter? Cup trap isn't exactly noted for its capturing abilitiest. I just thought it would be a cool cross. Or possibly a giant with a cup trap.

Ohh very exciting! I say cross your "Dingley Red/Purple" with your "Giant Rosette AKA Red Purple" in order to create a plant with a full vibrant tint of red on very green rosetted leaves. This year I'm going to cross "Big Mouth" with "Dingley Giant" to create a plant that will have very bright cherry red traps and bands with very sleek green rosettes of leaves. Cook's "Banded" and the English "Oxford" VFTs are some examples of the plant I'm trying to create.

I just get most of my plants through various people, I buy some and get some from trades.
But, I doubt that the t/c mutation group passes their 'weird' genes on to the offspring, so most likely they'll be clipped since they aren't the strongest growers anyways.
Phong, that's a good idea, I'll try to get some vibrant colored plants. But mostly, I'm aiming to get a stronger red piranha type plant.

On the other hand, perhaps crossing a typical or Green dragon into perhaps a more picky red strain would get you an easy grower with leaves that are pretty red.

When you trade seed or seedlings from these breedings, the recipient should be aware that the offspring will probably not retain the characteristics of the unique parents. Experimentation is what it is all about. Breeding plants with unique genetic characteristics can produce some unexpected and interesting results. However, be aware that there will likely be a range in appearance of the seedlings, with most being duds (or similar to "typical" plants). Occasionally, out of a thousand seedlings, there may be a few with unusual characteristics.

Oh yes and on this topic Bobz, Do you know if pollen that has been stored in the fridge for maybe a week will still be viable? I really want to cross these 2 VFT's of mine but they are a bit staggerred in the flowering sequence.

Thanks

[b said:
Quote[/b] (uglypho @ Mar. 28 2005,9:43)]Do you know if pollen that has been stored in the fridge for maybe a week will still be viable? I really want to cross these 2 VFT's of mine but they are a bit staggerred in the flowering sequence.
I have never tried storing VFT pollen. However, usually a flower scape of VFT will produce multiple flowers that will sequentially open for several weeks. Often, this will allow the first flowers of one to be open during later flowers of another plant. Another trick is to place the plant that will flower earlier in a cooler location for a while and the plant that is lagging in a warmer and brighter location. This will slow one of them and goose the other.

Man I wish I had that much VFT genetic diversity!
smile.gif

What I would personally do is draw out your perfect VFT based off leaf size, leaf position, growth speed, trap size and coloration.

Then try crossing two plants each with traits you like of each. Like I like green leaves, with large upright traps with deep red inside the traps. So I might pick a plant with red traps and another with large traps. Hopefully 1/4 of the offspring will have large red traps.

Oh be sure to give away some of those seeds, with that many plants I doubt you'll have a problem.
smile_m_32.gif

Back