Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cool vft's flowering!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just get most of my plants through various people, I buy some and get some from trades.
    But, I doubt that the t/c mutation group passes their 'weird' genes on to the offspring, so most likely they'll be clipped since they aren't the strongest growers anyways.
    Phong, that's a good idea, I'll try to get some vibrant colored plants. But mostly, I'm aiming to get a stronger red piranha type plant.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other hand, perhaps crossing a typical or Green dragon into perhaps a more picky red strain would get you an easy grower with leaves that are pretty red.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you trade seed or seedlings from these breedings, the recipient should be aware that the offspring will probably not retain the characteristics of the unique parents. Experimentation is what it is all about. Breeding plants with unique genetic characteristics can produce some unexpected and interesting results. However, be aware that there will likely be a range in appearance of the seedlings, with most being duds (or similar to "typical" plants). Occasionally, out of a thousand seedlings, there may be a few with unusual characteristics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes and on this topic Bobz, Do you know if pollen that has been stored in the fridge for maybe a week will still be viable? I really want to cross these 2 VFT's of mine but they are a bit staggerred in the flowering sequence.

Thanks
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (uglypho @ Mar. 28 2005,9:43)]Do you know if pollen that has been stored in the fridge for maybe a week will still be viable? I really want to cross these 2 VFT's of mine but they are a bit staggerred in the flowering sequence.
    I have never tried storing VFT pollen. However, usually a flower scape of VFT will produce multiple flowers that will sequentially open for several weeks. Often, this will allow the first flowers of one to be open during later flowers of another plant. Another trick is to place the plant that will flower earlier in a cooler location for a while and the plant that is lagging in a warmer and brighter location. This will slow one of them and goose the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I wish I had that much VFT genetic diversity! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

What I would personally do is draw out your perfect VFT based off leaf size, leaf position, growth speed, trap size and coloration.

Then try crossing two plants each with traits you like of each. Like I like green leaves, with large upright traps with deep red inside the traps. So I might pick a plant with red traps and another with large traps. Hopefully 1/4 of the offspring will have large red traps.

Oh be sure to give away some of those seeds, with that many plants I doubt you'll have a problem. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12