What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are these traps considered big?

• Thread starter Nflytrap
  • Start date
These are the some of the largest my plants have produced so far. Is this average size, large, small, or what? How much larger can I expect?

DSCN9896.jpg

DSCN9897.jpg

DSCN9901.jpg

That is a nickel in the photos if you didn't notice.

I say average, because they aren't small or large.

I think 'big' starts after 1.25"-1.5" across.

i'd say small

i agree with endparenthesis, my big VFT make like 1.5- 1.75 inch traps, however, my other ones make like 1.25 inch and lower traps
Hellz

I'd have to agree with Helz and everyone else. They can vary from plant to plant, but usually 1.25" and up would be large. from about 1/2" to about an 1.24" would be medium and anything under 1/2" is small. This is more of an estimate though... flytraps are very variable.

Here is what I go by-
.5" and under- small traps
.75" - average
1"- large
1.25+"- Giants

HellzDungeon, do your vft's really make 1.75" traps? If so, do you have any pics of that plant? That's a pretty big trap!
I'm counting on my Pete's Giant to make the 1.75" the traps this season!

Wow...1.25 thats impressive! I hope my plants have the capacity to produce such traps(should get better in summer right?)

Just measured the traps and the big oens I mentioned are a little over 2 cm

Hay, Hellz here,
ya, one trap from my biggest VFT was 1.75, i bought it from last years Philly flower show, during the peak of the growing seaon, ill post pics
Hellz

Its pretty weird, I looked at my larget trap on my VFT "Big Mouth" and was sure it was at least 1.5 inches. After measuring, the trap turned out to me a mere 1.25 inches. Its probably the after dormancy effects on my eyes. Anyway, I would be very pleased to see even 1.5 let alone a 1.75 on my VFTs.

Hellz here,
ya thats about ho big mine was, the plant put out a steady supply of traps ranging from 1.40- 1.70, and the biggest was about 1.75
Hellz

I have an old Creeping Death, I'll have to check the trap size. It's large for sure.

Creeping Death's are excellent plants. Last season mine reached 1.5" easily but no bigger... Its cool since the weight of the trap always made the leaves bend and touch the ground. It gets its own growing space since they branch off everywhere setting off other vft traps.

My Largest trap on Creeping Death is 1.25" exactly.

I saw a vft at Lowe's with 2.25 inch traps. I would have bought it, but my parents would not let me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ Mar. 30 2005,10:39)]I saw a vft at Lowe's with 2.25 inch traps. I would have bought it, but my parents would not let me.
If indeed that is true, you would have had close to a World Record Holder! Tell your parents that it is an investment. You could sell it for much more than you paid for it. At least get your parents to allow you to take a photo with a measuring tape for scale. For several years, there have been requests for photos to substantiate claims of large VFT traps. So far, no one (AFAIK) has come up with a convincing photo of a 2.25-inch trap. As our fearless leader Dubya is fond of saying: "Bring it on".

I already tried that. They won't let me at all. It was big enough to trap a small mouse!

Well tell somewhere where it is so they can grab it before someone kills it.
smile_h_32.gif

Back