Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vft seeds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick question, If i let my VFT flower, and it blooms, How do I go about getting seeds from it? and does anyone have pictures of VFT seeds?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look under " Flower types, parts, and seeds" and "Growing Tips" at
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Dionaea.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need two blooms at the same time or within hours, as the pollen becomes infertile after 24 hours (or is it the stigma?) can't remember, anyway; you may notice that the flowers won't open all at once. This is how it keeps from pollenating itself.

If you have two blooms, take an artists brush and pollenate each bloom with the other; but it has to be done within hours of the bloom opening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now here is a big question, can VFT pollen be kept viable by keeping it in the fridge? Has anyone tried it?
    VFT's to offer here===>http://www.phongvft.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard if you use pollen from different flowers on the same plant the seeds will produce weaker plants. Is this correct?
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried it Uglypho,

I need to read up on it again; it's unclear because it's been awhile since I've sowed seeds. I think now it's the stigma that is only receptive for a day; it'll be kinda hairy looking, but the little cilia hairs will soon pucker up rendering it finished. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure the pollen has a life span too, unless you put it in a liquid nitrogen tank or something; again; I'm not sure. I've stopped the seed thing; been there, done it; and probably won't do it again. Something like it taking 5 years to mature doesn't turn me on. It's good to experience it once, though.

Firewired; I've heard it too, but I don't think doing one generation from the same plant will hurt too bad; it's the repetitiveness after that before the genetic code goes a little awry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    darn.. I thought it was easy to get seeds from the VFT flowers... Seems a bit to much trouble to go through when I can just get leaf cuttings.... hmm gotta think about this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not incredibly difficult to get seeds. Once they flower I try to just pollinate once to twice a day. Then a couple weeks later you bust the pods open and get seeds.

Here's some pics from last year:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast