What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft's annoy me

Begin Rant:
I absolutly cannot stand VFTs that have been TCed. They always die in like 6 weeks. They come out of their pots into the bog garden and do fine until one day, as always they decide to flower. I notice hte stalk and cut it as I have no others floweing. So then all the traps die just because and the plant shrinks as if to say "That hurt badly". Then the plant either dies a few weeks later or continues to gow at a smaller rate (smaller then a dime) until it eventually recovers. Then it decides to flower at the wrong time again and it strts over. My VFT seeedligs have only 5 survivers out of 12 inital germinations. Which is Okay I guess since they wre outside and slugs got to them. Seed grown or leaf propagated plants are fine. They will grow but only to about the size of a quarter then reduce and recover. Maybe If I could have the same conainer as a bog for a couple years they would be okay. The only VFT that I have been pleased with so far is the free 'Fang' that I won from a nursery drawing. This plant decided to flower had no ill effects from having the flowers cut off not has it lost more then a few traps.

Treaqum, I think I could relate to that. Being given a plant just out of TC can be irritating as they are very sensitive. I noticed plants from BestCP seem to a prime example, since they give plants in vitro or fresh out of TC. I have a couple VFT forms from best that has been growing just erratically. Malformed and stunned growth, improper closure, and intolerance of heat and low humidity are some problems a plant of mine sourced from bestCP. Most plants out there in the market are of TC origin. Its a crazy thought that some plants are TC'ed than shipped out to another commercial site for futher TC ing, then shipped out for retailing. Some retailers acclimitize their plants better or longer than others, so ordering from one place could get better results than ordering from another place. But since ordering from any retailers can have risks with poorly acclimitized plants from TC, or maybe even deformed plants from TC, I prefer to play it safe and get plants from individual growers, the actual source, or nurseries that I had first-hand esperience with. But these is just my thoughts and ideas.

Yeah but even most cp nurseries TC. Well The cheep ones
smile_m_32.gif

I would keep thm indoors on a windowsill and then acclimatise them gradually to life outdoors.

TC is tissue culture, Mike, where a new plant is grown in sterile conditions from a sample of another plant, or sometimes from seeds which have been treated to remove any contaminants. TC is a fast way to reproduce plants, but there are lots of people out there who do a sloppy job (in order to maximize profit I assume.) When TC isn't done carefully, it often results in unhealthy, deformed plants.
~Joe

PS - Welcome to the forums!

Thank you. That makes perfect sense.

Back