User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: What insects should you not feed to vfts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ April 13 2005,1:46)]One thing you don't want to feed is lightning bugs! Mine (long since dead) caught one once and it was a nice parlor trick for the evening, the flashing trap caused by the insect in its death-throes, but the whole plant soon died. I think this was caused by the huge amounts of phosphorous it gave my plant.

-D. Lybrand
    Good tip [prying open my traps [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] j/k] but really - I always thought they would be perfect... guess it's back to the drawing board.

~ Brett

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (RandallFlagg @ April 12 2005,7:45)]So, when is it best to chop off the flower stalk, and where do I make the cut?
    As soon as you can get your scissors in there to make the cut, go for it. It may try to send up a second stalk.. cut that one too. If you have a small pair of scissors you can get right into the middle of the rosette. Be careful not to accidently clip a new trap which may be forming near the flower stalk.
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ April 12 2005,7:46)]One thing you don't want to feed is lightning bugs! Mine (long since dead) caught one once and it was a nice parlor trick for the evening, the flashing trap caused by the insect in its death-throes, but the whole plant soon died. I think this was caused by the huge amounts of phosphorous it gave my plant.

-D. Lybrand
    I tried that last summer and initiated a topic about it. To my knowledge, no harm was done to the VFT's. Perhaps I was just fortunate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ April 13 2005,5:18)]
    Quote[/b] (RandallFlagg @ April 12 2005,7:45)]So, when is it best to chop off the flower stalk, and where do I make the cut?
    As soon as you can get your scissors in there to make the cut, go for it. It may try to send up a second stalk.. cut that one too. If you have a small pair of scissors you can get right into the middle of the rosette. Be careful not to accidently clip a new trap which may be forming near the flower stalk.
    Cool. Thanks.
    It's chopped right after the light timer switches off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I acutally prefer to twist and snap the flowering stem at the soil level. I keep my vfts outside in a tank, so I'm usually too lazy to walk back in for the scissors.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey can VFT's munch on Woodlouse? you know them browny/purply insects?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SM
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SM?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast