What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What insects should you not feed to vfts?

If there weren't hunters then the wolves would still be able to keep the deer population in check. Even without the wolves, deer start to die of blue-tongue disease when they are overpopulating.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ May 13 2005,1:04)]Just wondering, since we have a big anti-cruelty kick going on here.

I don't feel good about eating dead animals, but I can't live without meat. Chicken is a huge part of my live. KFC 4-EVA.

Besides, I don't eat much anyway, and I gotta get protein somewhere... I don't get to eat beans that often.
LOL sounds like me....chicken chicken chicken...:p

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HVFT @ May 19 2005,2:54)]If there weren't hunters then the wolves would still be able to keep the deer population in check. Even without the wolves, deer start to die of blue-tongue disease when they are overpopulating.
What is blue-tongue disease? Why do hunters think that they are solution? What if wolves aren't indigenous to some areas, like just outside suburban sprawl?

I just cut off a plant that was starting to turn black and it was one with a big black ant in it. The black was starting at the mouth of the ant.

HVFT: I have a few questions I posted for you above.
confused.gif

blue tongue disease: A Viral disease tansmitted by biting insects and characterized by cyanosis of the lips and tongue. a Bug bites a deer and then gies it to another one when they ae too close. i don't approve of hunting. i think it is a cuel and pointless thing, since most hunters only do it so they have a head to put on their wall. wolves aren't the only animals that eat deer, and we are the ones depleting the balance of nature, when we destroy the homes of wild creatures to build our wal-marts and mcdonalds.

hey,
HVFT are you a vege? asking because im curious.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HVFT @ May 20 2005,1:52)]blue tongue disease: A Viral disease tansmitted by biting insects and characterized by cyanosis of the lips and tongue. a Bug bites a deer and then gies it to another one when they ae too close. i don't approve of hunting. i think it is a cuel and pointless thing, since most hunters only do it so they have a head to put on their wall. wolves aren't the only animals that eat deer, and we are the ones depleting the balance of nature, when we destroy the homes of wild creatures to build our wal-marts and mcdonalds.
I hear ya! I'm an Environmental Science major. I took a course in Wildlife Management. Part of that course dealt with managing ecosystems. A year after graduating I took a State job and part of what I had to do was take water, soil, air, fish (from shocking them), and deer sampling. The hunter types of my co-workers had a "field day" with their rifles. I sat in the company vehicle and waited for the "samples".

Thank you for providing the info!

smile.gif

no i'm not ui just think hunting is an unneeded past time

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HVFT @ May 21 2005,9:16)]no i'm not ui just think hunting is an unneeded past time
I understood the last clause of what you said but not the first. Could you clarify that?

I'm not nuts about hunting, either. How do you know about blue tongue disease?

I was saying no, I am not a vege. I know about blue tongue disease because I am only a year out of high school and I had some zoology classes.

I am wondering myself just for satisfaction purposes can you feed a VFT a bee that has been de-stingered??? Please help

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Carniverousterrariums @ May 25 2005,11:46)]I am wondering myself just for satisfaction purposes can you feed a VFT a bee that has been de-stingered??? Please help
hi,
i think these type of questions should be answered by yourself. you should make the judgement based upon your own morals and principles.
I used to feed my VFT until few weeks ago. i used to catch ants and woodlouse (flies were too fast) however as the weather has warmed up considerably here in the UK i have placed the VFT outside near a plant. yesterday it caught 3 big flies all by it self.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Carniverousterrariums @ May 25 2005,11:46)]I am wondering myself just for satisfaction purposes can you feed a VFT a bee that has been de-stingered??? Please help
Someone once wrote a rule of thumb about prey being ~1/3 the size of a VFT trap. So if you have good-sized traps to accommodate the bee, it will be fine.

Side note: Take a look at my signature. I think we have something in common.

Moralistic values? What you be talkin' bout? Anything that is small enough should be eaten.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't feel good about eating dead animals, but I can't live without meat.
I agree. I like to eat my animals alive. There's nothing like freshness to bring the taste buds alive.
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ May 26 2005,5:33)]Moralistic values?  What you be talkin' bout?  Anything that is small enough should be eaten.
well it seems we both come from two different ends of the spectrum, what do you say?

kindest regards,

If flies are good enough for my sarrs and VFT's, their good enough for me! YUM!!!! (Try'em on a peanut butter sandwich!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ May 26 2005,10:45)]If flies are good enough for my sarrs and VFT's, their good enough for me! YUM!!!! (Try'em on a peanut butter sandwich!)
lol......
hmmmmmm, chips or flies, chips or flies.....what a hard choice, but i think I'll stick to chips!
smile_n_32.gif

Although flies along with other insects are ment to be quite high in protein....darn if i weren't vegetarian
smile_m_32.gif

kindest regards,

Ruff, chips are so bad for you! Too much salt!

Back