User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What insects should you not feed to vfts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry for having to start a whole nother thread about this, but I was wondering if there are insects that would end up damaging VFTs (and other CPs) if tossed into the tank with them. I just fed four baby crickets to my little buddies and thought to myself, "If these were caterpillars, would they end up devouring the plants?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything too big to fit in the trap is out of the question. I've also heard warnings against anything with too much of an exoskeleton, like beetles and such.

Good suggestions are ants, small spiders, and of course, flies of every variety.
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Cynic81 @ April 08 2005,10:37)]Anything too big to fit in the trap is out of the question. I've also heard warnings against anything with too much of an exoskeleton, like beetles and such.

Good suggestions are ants, small spiders, and of course, flies of every variety.
    I know about the size thing -the crickets worked out very nicely (for 26 cents). But I was wondering mainly if there's certain insects that can eat their way out of the traps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chopped earthworms rotted my traps everytime; too much bacteria from the earth their in, so I would suggest staying away from them. I also heard mealworms are too tough (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Also, like stated; no beetles and such including pillbugs.

Sandhill crickets of the right size are excellent; and flies when you can catch them. Spiders are good; SOME ants are good; I think fire ants burn them with the venom and have good pincers that can chew.

Complex proteins are out of the question as I'm sure you already know; like meat products, etc.

I can't think of anything else to add.

Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, one of mine has a fairly thick 'skinned' beetle right now..
    What types of trouble might that cause.
    It was the first thing I saw crawling around, this spring, so it got fed to my new vft's.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my limited experience, I would say not to feed it any carpenter ants. I fed two of my traps carpenter ants and they started turning black in the middle of the digestion. Anything else I've fed them (spiders, flies, pillbugs) have been eaten without a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read that, as a rule, anything larger than 1/3 the size of the trap is not a good idea. Save the crane flies for Nepenthes, sarrs, and large drosera.
    Update: Parents convinced to allow me to keep greenhouse heated over winter. Most species will not be lost. Too lazy to update growlist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I leave my pot of VFTs outside year round in the shade of my Sarracenia, and they are always catching insects on their own, just fine.

They are snacking mostly on love bugs these days, as are the Sarracenia.

In my experience, ants almost always turn the traps black.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast