Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little white bugs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

I have some little bity tiny white bugs in my terrarium, and they are eating flytrap bulbs and killing them. They are a little bit bigger than a pinhead. I don't know what they are but I want to know how to kill them. My venus' flytrap poplution has been cut by about 70% in the last few days, because of them. The only thing that is left most times is about 8 perfect venus flytrap cuttings missing a rhizome. I need help FAST! Anyone have sugestions on how to murder the murderers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be what I would do until the culprit can be photographed and identified properly.

Systematically take one VFT after the next and remove it from the medium. Set the plant aside and toss the medium into a plastic bag. Get in your shower with your plants and get a good stream of water going. At this point, I wouldn't worry whether you have city water or well water. Get that good stream going and unfortunately you will want to blast the plants. Pay particular attention to the underside of the leaves as well as the traps. You want to knock off any little white bugs with the water. Now rinse all of your VFTs with distilled water. Set your plants aside in the corner of the shower. Take your terrarium and haul it outside and hose it down. I'd use a mild dilution of bleach water and then I'd hose it down again. Leave it sit. Do the same to your pots.

If you think this is a mite of some sort, you might want to consider using horticultural oils. I'm thinking horticultural oil products applied properly and timely might be worth a try. Disclaimer, I have never used dormant horticultural oils or Neem oils on a CP. If you have a white fly larvae in the soil, the horticultural oils should also work.

aprilh and I are talking on the phone and she recommened Diatomaceaous Earth. Restaurant grade if possible. You can pick this up from pet stores that have salt water fish as well as from restaurant supply stores. The restaurant grade is coarser. She also feels the plants should be rinsed off and the existing medium tossed out.

There are some bright yellow white fly traps out there that you could hang. The white flies are attracted to it and they stick to it and die. But, you may not have white flies.

Diazanon soil would certainly rid you of whatever you've got but I don't care for chemicals and neither does she.

If you need to reuse your soil, nuke it on high in yoru microwave and let it cool down to room temperature. Not much more we can come up with so hopefully others will respond to your post.

Best wishes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    horticulturist,
    I posted a couple of days ago about a similar problem I am having. Take a look at it and see if you recoginize the critter.

http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17703

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, that's them. When I got back from school today, I looked at my flytraps and saw only one venus flytrap that was still alive. EVIL APHIDS!!! I'll get some ladybugs to take care of any survivors after I nuke the media. As you might have figured out, I am now accepting vft donations of any kind with a full heart. Plants, cuttings, seeds, or bulbs. I will pay shipping. No obligation of course. PM me if want to help me replenish my stock. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aphids! Ugh. You poor thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just spray orthene on the plants and soil surface. That will get the aphids fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aphids wont effect the rhizomes, or the media..
    they only live up on green stalks and they "suck sap"..

using harsh pesticides is probably more harmfull than good.
    it can also harm seedlings..
    if its really aphids just soak the plants UNDER water for 24 hours..
    if some aphids float to the top, skim them off and dispose in any manner that pleases you..
    if the rhizomes are being eaten and disappearing, thats not aphids..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like using chemicals on carnivorous plants and I don't have any orthene anyway, so I will stick to drowning them. Apparently they are not aphids if aphids only suck sap. The rhizomes and bulbs dissapeared without a trace. They look like bugs in the picture that lauderdale gave a link to, but they are tiny. I forgot to mention that they crawl around under the peat and I see them surface quite often. I'll give the results of project "drown evil bugs to save last venus flytap" tomorrow after they are dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast