What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please!

my venus fly trap was eating a fly and a lady bug a while ago and it was eating them for about 10-12 days. all of the sudden they started turning black, kind of like the were molding. it only developed in the area where the bugs were at first and then started spreading fairly rapidly to the rest of the head. thinking that it was going to spread to the rest of the plant i cut the two heads off. when i opened them up the bugs were mostly digested. were they just digesting them or do they have something wrong with them?
smile_t_32.gif

they probibly were just too big for the trap. was the fly and lady bug in the same trap. u want to keep the insects down to 1/3 of the trap size.

Thanks

Brad

no the bugs were in seperate traps.

Sometimes it just happens. I would not worry about it. In a couple weeks you will have replacements. I would not stop feeding the vft either, but may I sugjest using softbody insects instead of hardbody insects. I always like to have one trap feeding per plant.

Good Luck,
Travis

Now worries man! This happens sometimes, I had it happen with a rollie pollie and things like that. The plant should keep on groing and doing its thing.
smile.gif

--Jonathan

Hi

I am moving this to the appropriate forum...for Venus flytraps. You'll get more help there.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Not to worry. The traps only last a certain length of time...3-4 feedings. Those traps may simply have been at the end of their time and not related to what they were eating.

Just snip off the blacked trap, keep the leaf (as it will continue to make food for the plant) and relax and enjoy your plant.
smile.gif

AND...Welcome to the forums!!
biggrin.gif

thanks for all the advice. i''m probably over-reacting. i think i'll just let it hang out for a while and see what happens.

It is simply called "paranoia" and we all have it here.
smile_m_32.gif

I can't believe nobody else said this...

It's also due to the lady bug.. they're poisonous to VFTs. Don't worry about it.. just stay away from the lady bugs (and other hard-shelled bugs, since they're extremely hard to digest anyway).

Back