Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-bug foods?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I know that it is highly recommended that nothing be fed to VFTs aside from bugs but I remember reading that the whites of hard-boiled eggs are OK. I thought I read that someone tried using a finger/toe nail (I guess on the assumption that it's just protein, like the hard-boiled egg white) and was wondering if that might be OK? Anybody had success with anything else? Thanks! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't a finger/toe nail cause fungus and cause the trap to rot?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I was wondering. Are the traps that sensitive to that kinda stuff? That's my question - summarized [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] .

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a thread on feeding vfts, but it's for bugs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno if a VFT would want keratin-I doubt it.

Egg white sound interesting but you'd have to figure out how to get the trap to start digesting this nonmoving object first.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well If I remember correctly (since I can't find the thread), people massaged the trap periodically after making it close (by just sticking the egg in and hitting the triggers). I think people reported success but I can't remember...

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought giving the traps something that might be high in protein was a no-no? I'm a weightlifter and eat a lot of egg whites every morning for one reason and one reason only. They are very high in protein. Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but I thought I heard that about protein with the traps. Correct me if i'm wrong on that. If egg whites are OK to give them then I don't mind sharing a little with my hungry plants. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I've become pretty good at feeding them dead things when I've had to and getting the traps to seal shut so I wouldn't have much of a problem with the egg whites. I'll stick with the bugs for now though until there's more proof about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible to 'massage' the trap after it closed: use a small pin introduce the egg white (I use thawed frozen crickets I get from the pet store, they're cheap and I highly recommend them over the egg whites). Enter from the side of the trap, and when the trap closes hold the pin inside. Periodically, gently move the pin back and forth to 'massage' the trap. This technique has worked great for me, very rarely does a trap re-open.

Oh man, I used to weight'lift and eat those egg whites every morning--used to fart a lot [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast