What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft propagation

I've known for a while that many people have successfully propagated Drosera filiformis by placing leaves in pure water. I've recently read that this method also works well with plants in the petiolaris complex.

I'm curious whether this method has been tried with VFT leaves, and if so, what type of results were achieved. I've had good success with leaf cuttings in live sphagnum but see this as being potentially easier.

Someone on another forum did it using very sterile water and containers (lab equipment)... which is probably what it takes to work most of the time. I've tried it with no success.

I would be interested in that meathod too if it works.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ April 13 2005,3:21)]Someone on another forum did it using very sterile water and containers (lab equipment)... which is probably what it takes to work most of the time. I've tried it with no success.
I am currently attempting to duplicate this at the lab in which I work. I am using a 50 ml cenrifuge tube and deionized water. I started this recently with a VFT leaf, a D. filiformis leaf, a D. binata leaf, several Mexican Pings leaves, and C. folicularis. The Ping leaves were a total failure and one C. follicularis has produced roots. The rest are too early to tell.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 13 2005,6:23)]I am currently attempting to duplicate this at the lab in which I work. I am using a 50 ml cenrifuge tube and deionized water. I started this recently with a VFT leaf, a D. filiformis leaf, a D. binata leaf, several Mexican Pings leaves, and C. folicularis. The Ping leaves were a total failure and one C. follicularis has produced roots. The rest are too early to tell.
Hi Jim,
This sounds great.

Can you tells us about the process your using? ie:Are you placing the leaves in the water or trying to float them on top? Did you treat w/ anything 1st (like rooting hormone)? Are you using one leave of each type or multiple leaves? How long did the Cephalotus take to develop roots (no leaves/pitchers?)?

I wonder if DI H2O will yield the same results as distilled?

Thanks for starting & sharing the interim results of this project. Sounds great!

Back