Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vft health

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm interesting....

another point thats buggin' me is, how come the heads on my VFT take time to close? they take around 1 or 2 seconds. So when i place a nice succulent, tender prime british ant (ha ha ha) it runs out before the trap closes [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]
    i know cannot be healthy for the plant, how can i speed things up?
    p.s i give it rain water, kept between 17-24 degrees and fairly humid conditions too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruff, again I stress, the plant will let you know if it is happy. Trap speed is due to several things. Health. Preference. Environment. When the plant is healthy, living in preferred conditions, and is satisfied overall with its environment, then trap speeds will pick up. There is absolutely NO WAY you can force or make the plant do anything. YOU have to satisfy its requirements, and the plant will respond to that. Trap speed will then pick up. My VFT's (all 75 to 100 of them) grow together in an outdoor bog, and snap closed in the usual 1/4 of a second. They love their bog. Otherwise, the results would be drastically different. This fact does not change, whether they are my seedlings, 10 year old plants, 20 year old, or the 30+ year old plants that are growing out there. They react when they are not happy, and it is up to you to find out why.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about the trap coloring. Maybe it isn't so much related to lighting as it is to temperature? For some people full sun brings it into the right range, and for others shade may keep it cool enough. Sounds like something worth investigating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possible. My first ones were in a climate controlled greenhouse though, and kept pretty much the same. When the greenhouse was painted with that white stuff, they were gorgeous!! The plants reacted to the bright shade. Temperature played little in this particular case. You going to experiment? Keep me informed.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I do have this one blood red VFT from Cook. I have a before picture somewhere where it had some beautiful deep red traps. Under my care, it looks like an all green or a typical! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] If it was doing a little better, I would experiment with it, but it is a tad on the small size due to me letting it flower.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123