Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flagg's terrarium setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm? I might check the device I'm measuring humidity with. With all of that wet spahgnum in an enclosed tank such as that, your humidity should be well above 50% with out doing anything. I have a couple of terrariums with several Drosera species in it, and with no nebulizer or fogger or anything, the humidity even with the lid half open is usually running around 60%. With the lid closed and the lights on, it jumps up to 80% rather quickly. I think you are overly concerned with your humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just inserted a second humidity reader in it. I'll tell you what it's reading in a few. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Jason_In_CO @ April 15 2005,1:26)]Hmmm? I might check the device I'm measuring humidity with. With all of that wet spahgnum in an enclosed tank such as that, your humidity should be well above 50% with out doing anything. I have a couple of terrariums with several Drosera species in it, and with no nebulizer or fogger or anything, the humidity even with the lid half open is usually running around 60%. With the lid closed and the lights on, it jumps up to 80% rather quickly. I think you are overly concerned with your humidity.
    I think I mentioned this in an earlier thread, that I thought your gage might be off.
    Honestly, I think a tank of that size with the lid partially open in the most Southern, sunny window would not cook, but I have not had a window available for decades. I used to grow plants in West and South windows.
    If you are happy with the set-up, keep using it, as your happiness is second to the plants.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, right before the timer started the nebulizer, both read about 65%. It's been running for about ten minutes now and they're at around 70%. I'll edit this post to show the percentage when the nebulizer turns off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, after about an hour they're both hovering between 65% and 70%.
    It's gotta be the sundew because after another hour, it'll read 30%.

Looks like it'll be about $50.00 more bucks for this hobby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice, although that VFT flower stalk will eventually outgrow the terrarium, what exactly is a nebulizer again?
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ April 15 2005,3:00)]Looks nice, although that VFT flower stalk will eventually outgrow the terrarium, what exactly is a nebulizer again?
    Oh, I chopped that stalk right after I took the pics.

A nebulizer atomizes water into a very fine mist (like smoke) for medical treatment of breathing problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has nothing to do with the D. capensis. I have several of them in my terrarium and they do no suck moisture from the air. Again, with that much wet spahgnum in an enclosed environment I'm having a hard time believing that the humidity would ever drop below 50%. What about the fan, is it running all of the time? You could be pulling so much outside air into the terrarium that it could drop the humidity to near indoor levels. You might try turning off the fan for awhile and see if the humdity shoots back up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast