What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flagg's terrarium setup

Finally! Some better pics of my CP's home.
041505pic1.jpg

041505pic2.jpg

041505pic3.jpg

041505pic4.jpg

041505pic5.jpg

041505pic6.jpg

041505pic7.jpg

Wow, I have never seen so many plug-ins for three plants, lol. Those are the same three plants as my first cp purchase(from Peter Pauls, before they had the bad rep) back in 1979-1980 or so.
Is the light level a little low? They all look a bit green and just a tad etiolated.
Are you running water thru the nebulizer(obviously not the meds that one normally uses-I own my own, btw, but have not had to use it in a while)?
Very fascinating set-up.

Cheers,

Joe

Quite the setup, but I think it's way overkill for those 3 plants. They would be just as happy sitting on a sunny windowsill.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wow, I have never seen so many plug-ins for three plants, lol.
Actually, that's my laundry section. Some of those are for other things (Cellphone, pager, etc.)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is the light level a little low? They all look a bit green and just a tad etiolated.
I'm running three 18" flourescents less than a foot from the mossy ground.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Are you running water thru the nebulizer(obviously not the meds that one normally uses-I own my own, btw, but have not had to use it in a while)?
I actually have a tube with an injector running to the top of the nebulizer so I can inject rainwater without having to open up the terarrium. My humidity seems to have dropped significantly since the introduction of the sundew, though. I'll probably have to rig something that adds water to the air at a faster rate.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Very fascinating set-up.
Thanks.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quite the setup, but I think it's way overkill for those 3 plants.  They would be just as happy sitting on a sunny windowsill.
They'd get cooked. I work 12-hour shifts and had to automate their environment.
You should have seen how fast the VFT sprung out of dormancy.

All hail the Crimson King!!
Nice set up!
smile_n_32.gif

Yeah, if you left them in a closed terrarium in full sun they would get cooked. I was actually talking about having those plants in individual pots setting in trays of water. As long as the media is kept constanly wet all three of those plants could handle full sun all day long.

My 12-hour shifts make that impossible (I know, I tried; they dried and died or were mugged by animals).
I'm actually considering getting a fogger to run on the nebulizer timer today. That dang pump gets way too loud (I have 2 kids that wouldn't sleep that well -and make me pay for it!) I was able to keep my humidity above 70% all up until when I put the sundew in the terarrium. When I woke up the next morning, the humidity was at 20%! YIKES!!
I'm wondering if sundews suck out the humidity in the air.

Hmmm? I might check the device I'm measuring humidity with. With all of that wet spahgnum in an enclosed tank such as that, your humidity should be well above 50% with out doing anything. I have a couple of terrariums with several Drosera species in it, and with no nebulizer or fogger or anything, the humidity even with the lid half open is usually running around 60%. With the lid closed and the lights on, it jumps up to 80% rather quickly. I think you are overly concerned with your humidity.

I just inserted a second humidity reader in it. I'll tell you what it's reading in a few. Thanks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason_In_CO @ April 15 2005,1:26)]Hmmm?  I might check  the device I'm measuring humidity with.  With all of that wet spahgnum in an enclosed tank such as that, your humidity should be well above 50% with out doing anything.  I have a couple of terrariums with several Drosera species in it, and with no nebulizer or fogger or anything, the humidity even with the lid half open is usually running around 60%.  With the lid closed and the lights on, it jumps up to 80% rather quickly.  I think you are overly concerned with your humidity.
I think I mentioned this in an earlier thread, that I thought your gage might be off.
Honestly, I think a tank of that size with the lid partially open in the most Southern, sunny window would not cook, but I have not had a window available for decades. I used to grow plants in West and South windows.
If you are happy with the set-up, keep using it, as your happiness is second to the plants.

Cheers,

Joe

Well, right before the timer started the nebulizer, both read about 65%. It's been running for about ten minutes now and they're at around 70%. I'll edit this post to show the percentage when the nebulizer turns off.

Well, after about an hour they're both hovering between 65% and 70%.
It's gotta be the sundew because after another hour, it'll read 30%.

Looks like it'll be about $50.00 more bucks for this hobby.

Looks nice, although that VFT flower stalk will eventually outgrow the terrarium, what exactly is a nebulizer again?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ April 15 2005,3:00)]Looks nice, although that VFT flower stalk will eventually outgrow the terrarium, what exactly is a nebulizer again?
Oh, I chopped that stalk right after I took the pics.

A nebulizer atomizes water into a very fine mist (like smoke) for medical treatment of breathing problems.

It has nothing to do with the D. capensis. I have several of them in my terrarium and they do no suck moisture from the air. Again, with that much wet spahgnum in an enclosed environment I'm having a hard time believing that the humidity would ever drop below 50%. What about the fan, is it running all of the time? You could be pulling so much outside air into the terrarium that it could drop the humidity to near indoor levels. You might try turning off the fan for awhile and see if the humdity shoots back up.

The thing I use for air circulation is a $20.00 aquarium pump. It barely pushes any air at all.

Nice setup. That is much fancier then my setup, which I am not sure if I like.
smile_m_32.gif
The only thing I do not like about too much humidity is the fact you can not see your plants as well. If you know what I mean. Good Job!

never mind wrong topic...

DOHH!! The original humidity gage is reading 30%, and the one I put in for verification is reading 60%.

Time for a new meter.

Back