Thread: Wacky traps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ April 15 2005,3:30)]
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Jason_In_CO @ April 15 2005,3:21)]Without the intermeshing hairs, how efficient is it at holding prey? It is a strange one to say the least.
    I didn't think the traps were functional.... Bob - is that true? Or are they partially functional like 'cup-trap'?
    The traps are indeed functional and seem close about as fast as a typical trap. Last summer, I saw small spiders that had been captured in the traps. I think the trapping efficiency must be similar to the grasping efficiency of someone with amputated fingers. The hand can still grasp things, but not as well. I will do some testing this summer as the larger traps mature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool VFT!

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, never knew that existed as a VFT form. Quite amazing, actually. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is pretty cool. It will be interesting to see how it looks a while down the road.

And I'm jealous that you have the digital rebel! I've wanted one ever since they came out!!!!!! How do you like it? Congrats on the plant and the camera [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob

Interesting plant! What is the history of it? Did it grow that way from a seed? How old is it? Have you tried propagating it?

It would be interesting to know if it were cloned with a leaf cutting if it would clone true.

Thanks for the photos!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The history of this plant is in BobZ's photofinder, here's the short history on the plant: Ed Read writes “I got this plant from Mike ? who got it from his Dutch friends who have a nursery. The nursery propagates thousands of vfts from tissue culture and had a tray of a bunch of mutants. This plant was the only one he got. He named the plant he gave me "Wacky Traps." I later looked at it and said the traps look like Barts hair. I guess I'm not the only one who thought that since the name is going around. Of course I'm going on the assumption that these plants are the same”.

I seen alot of vft cultivars from just surfing BobZ's photosite :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PAK, I believe that it was originally a TC "accident" from a Dutch nursery and has had limited distribution since 1996. I got a tiny plant in March 2004. It is indeed stable when asexually cloned. "Wacky Traps" is believed to be the same plant as "Bart Simpson". For a more complete story, see
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/zph...ackyTraps.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast